What is the Mechanism Behind the Emission of Thermal Radiation?

In summary, the origin of thermal radiation is the fact that all things with a temperature emit electromagnetic radiation. This is due to the constant collision and acceleration of atoms in motion, which causes the emission of electromagnetic radiation. While this has been explained through Wien's displacement law and Planck's law, it has not been fully worked out mathematically. It should also be noted that neutrons at room temperature do not radiate, but rather transfer energy through collisions.
jjschwartz1
I'm trying to understand the origin of thermal radiation. All things with a temperature emit electromagnetic radiation.

Every discussion I've found starts with that as a premise and then goes on to Wien's displacement law and Planck's law, etc which I follow.

But *why* do all things radiate? I've seen some hints that atoms in motion are constantly colliding and therefore accelerating and therefore the component charges are accelerating and emitting electromagnetic radiation. But I haven't seen it worked out in detail or mathematically.

And if that's the case, do a bunch of neutrons at room temperature radiate? They must. What's the explanation for that?

Science news on Phys.org
Neutrons don't radiated. They transfer energy by collision.

1. What is thermal radiation?

Thermal radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted by an object due to its temperature. It includes all wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation, including infrared, visible light, and ultraviolet.

2. How does thermal radiation occur?

Thermal radiation occurs when the particles in an object, such as atoms and molecules, vibrate due to their temperature. This vibration causes the particles to emit electromagnetic radiation.

3. What is the origin of thermal radiation?

The origin of thermal radiation is the movement of particles in an object due to its temperature. As these particles vibrate, they emit electromagnetic radiation, which is known as thermal radiation.

4. How is thermal radiation related to heat transfer?

Thermal radiation is one of the three main methods of heat transfer, along with conduction and convection. It is responsible for the transfer of heat from one object to another through the emission and absorption of electromagnetic radiation.

5. What factors affect the amount of thermal radiation emitted?

The amount of thermal radiation emitted by an object is affected by its temperature, surface area, and emissivity. Objects with higher temperatures, larger surface areas, and higher emissivity will emit more thermal radiation than objects with lower values for these factors.