Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Original formulation of Newton’s principles

1. Feb 14, 2004 #1
    Help is needed… I’m looking for original formulation of nature’s principles given (written) by Newton (of course, one we now call Newton laws), I have some kind of translation, but it seems unnatural (if you know what I mean :)).

I was google_ing, but I haven’t found them.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2004 #2
    His original publication was "Principa Mathematica" Something like that....is that what your looking for?
  4. Feb 14, 2004 #3
    I believe Newton's original work was written in Latin; Latin always sounds strange when translated to English. You can spot a Latin translation a mile away. The words will be in a different order then what you would expect to find today, and it often will sound awkwardly verbose.

If you found some of his work that sounds pretty funky, chances are its straight from the original translation.
  5. Feb 14, 2004 #4

Science Advisor

There are literally hundreds of web pages with Newton's Laws quoted. Google with the following phrase

"uniform motion in a right line" newton

6. Feb 15, 2004 #5
    Yeah, krab something like that.It just seems I used wrong keywords.

Yes I’m referring on Principia Mathematica, but in those links they have something like Latin to English translation of tree laws, and as much as I remember from some translation I had, Newton formulated his thoughts in 5 principles, which could be reduced to his III laws, and I cant find that… Thanks anyway…
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?