Number Puzzle: Solve 34 in 11 Lines Using 1-17

• Thread starter Helios
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
In summary, the conversation is about a puzzle where the numbers 1-17 must be placed in circles so that the sum of the numbers on every line equals 34. The speaker has one solution and believes it is a challenging puzzle. Another person points out an error in the solution and suggests there are only two possible solutions. The original speaker agrees and thanks everyone for their efforts.
Helios
Using the numbers 1 - 17, place the numbers in the circles so that the sum of the numbers on every line equals 34. There are 11 lines. I have one solution. I think this is a very challenging puzzle that few can solve.

Attachments

• puzzle.gif
    puzzle.gif
    2 KB · Views: 526
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Helios!
From top to down, and left to right:
:smile:

As far as I can tell 10+2+12 in bottom line is not 34...

Seems to me like there are just two solutions - symmetrical, so in a way there exist only one.

14 - 16 4 8 6 - 3 1 - 13 11 - 5 17 12 - 7 2 - 10 9 15

(these are rows)

Last edited:
Borek's solution is an exact match to mine. This solution looks unique. Thanks all for your efforts with this puzzle.

1. What is the "Number Puzzle"?

The "Number Puzzle" is a mathematical challenge that involves using the numbers 1-17 to solve for the number 34 in 11 lines or less.

2. How does the "Number Puzzle" work?

To solve the "Number Puzzle", you must use the numbers 1-17 in a series of mathematical operations (such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) to reach the number 34. Each line can only contain one mathematical operation and must use at least two numbers.

3. Is there a specific order in which the numbers must be used?

There is no specific order in which the numbers must be used in the "Number Puzzle". You can use them in any order as long as you reach the number 34 in 11 lines or less.

4. How many solutions are there for the "Number Puzzle"?

There are multiple solutions for the "Number Puzzle", but the exact number is not known. It is estimated that there are thousands of possible solutions.

5. What skills are needed to solve the "Number Puzzle"?

Solving the "Number Puzzle" requires strong mathematical skills, including the ability to manipulate numbers, think critically, and problem-solve. It also requires patience and persistence to try different combinations and operations until the correct solution is found.