Why Isn't My Ornithopter Generating Lift?

• Thread starter Afaq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flight
In summary, the conversation discusses the design and fabrication of an ornithopter, a type of aircraft that flaps its wings like a bird. The main issue with the current design is that it is unable to generate enough lift to fly, despite having a good wing actuation and flapping frequency. The experts suggest that the main issues are weight and wing dynamics, and offer suggestions such as using lighter materials, improving the wing design, and allowing for more flexion in the wings. The conversation also touches upon the possibility of monetizing ornithopters through the toy industry or as a hobby/educational tool.
Afaq
i have designed and fabricated an ornithopter with flapping frequency of 4Hz and span of 1m... Actuation of wings is perfectly fine but it is unable to generate lift...what are the possible amendments should i do to make it fly...and it is a bit over weight i-e 700g...

Attachments

• 2013-07-05 15.31.04.jpg
    2013-07-05 15.31.04.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 2,679
  • 2013-07-05 15.31.30.jpg
    2013-07-05 15.31.30.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 887
Engineering news on Phys.org
Tie it to helium balloons.

Its too heavy and the thing itself looks to big to generate lift without flexion of the wings

But i am not an expert on unsteady low RE flight

I'm no expert either, but I agree, the biggest problem is probably weight. But a close second is the wing dynamics. You're probably getting just as much downward thrust on the wing upstroke as you are in the downstroke. Any way you can allow/induce more flexion in the wings on the upstroke?

You could probably easily do this just inserting a second joint about 1/3 down the way. Take a look at some photographs of birds that are a similar dimension. Also, what airfoil are you using?

Aero51 said:
You could probably easily do this just inserting a second joint about 1/3 down the way. Take a look at some photographs of birds that are a similar dimension. Also, what airfoil are you using?

i am using parachute cloth without any airfoil.

Travis_King said:
I'm no expert either, but I agree, the biggest problem is probably weight. But a close second is the wing dynamics. You're probably getting just as much downward thrust on the wing upstroke as you are in the downstroke. Any way you can allow/induce more flexion in the wings on the upstroke?

Yes, you are right weight is the biggest issue but i am unable to reduce the weight. As in the wings, i am using the parachute cloth which is heavy and is not generating required lift...suggest me the material for the wing.Thanx

If you are producing equal amounts of vertical force on the upstroke and downstroke, and it looks like you probably are, then reducing the weight won't really matter. As was mentioned above you need to improve the wing design. It is looking pretty cool though, good luck!

RandomGuy88 said:
you need to improve the wing design.

you mean to say that the fabriction of designed wing is not good or the design itself...how can i improve it??

You need the wing to flex or deform the reason why lift is generated is because of the asymetric vorticies generated by different wing flexions on the upstroke and downstroke.

Also, any heavy materials you may be using are a bad choice. Lightweight is the name of the game in all of aeronautics. Sometimes one might trade a little weight for some performance gain elsewhere (firepower, maneuverability, etc) but weight is always a major concern.

Many RC enthusiasts use shrink wrap plastic covering sheets to cover their wing and fuselage structures.

for test flight of ornithopter i should throw it with head-wind or tail-wind ??

Afaq said:
i have designed and fabricated an ornithopter with flapping frequency of 4Hz and span of 1m... Actuation of wings is perfectly fine but it is unable to generate lift...what are the possible amendments should i do to make it fly...and it is a bit over weight i-e 700g...

1] You need to arrange wings such that they should have some angle of attack.
2] Only straight up-down flapping won't work, give in little elliptical motion, i.e while downstroke they will come down via front perimeter of Circle and when they go up they will use back perimeter. Hint: Bird's doesn't just flap wings up and down, they use slightly circular motion.
3] The frame you used seems to be heavy, in reality you don't need it for proof of concept, you can get rid of it. Just attache your motor/gear to the rod.
4] Instead of cloth, you can use polythene, which will be way more lighter than cloth.
5] Instead of aluminium, you can use light weight wood e.g. balsa wood or similar or plastic straws together.
6] Implement all of the above points and your bird will start flying as you see other birds...

Best luck.

Can someone tell me if there is any value (monetization possibility) in such models or are they strictly a curiosity? Because I see many people absolutely amazed by ornithopters, but I see no practical use for them.

strive said:
Can someone tell me if there is any value (monetization possibility) in such models or are they strictly a curiosity? Because I see many people absolutely amazed by ornithopters, but I see no practical use for them.

Toy industry. Hobby. Educational with practical.
Do you see people fly small helicopters indoor as well as outdoor? The value is just pure Joy and people pay for that.

1. What is an ornithopter?

An ornithopter is a flying machine that imitates the flapping flight of birds. It is powered by a person or an engine and uses flapping wings to generate lift and thrust for flight.

2. What is the main challenge of ornithopter flight?

The main challenge of ornithopter flight is designing a mechanism that can efficiently generate lift and thrust through flapping wings. This requires careful consideration of aerodynamics, wing design, and power source.

3. How does an ornithopter differ from a traditional airplane?

An ornithopter differs from a traditional airplane in its method of generating lift and thrust. While an airplane uses fixed wings and a propulsion system, an ornithopter relies on flapping wings for both lift and thrust. This makes it more similar to a bird in flight.

4. What are some current applications of ornithopter technology?

Currently, ornithopters are mainly used for research and recreation purposes, such as studying bird flight or creating models for hobbyists. However, there is ongoing research and development towards using ornithopters for military and surveillance purposes.

5. What are the potential benefits of ornithopter flight?

Ornithopter flight has the potential to be more energy-efficient and maneuverable compared to traditional airplanes. It could also have military and surveillance applications, as well as potential uses in search and rescue operations. Additionally, studying ornithopter flight can provide valuable insights into the aerodynamics of bird flight and contribute to advancements in aviation technology.