Proof: Product of Orthogonal Matrices is Orthogonal

• Thread starter soothsayer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that a product of orthogonal matrices is itself orthogonal. The conversation goes on to explore the concept of orthogonality and different ways of writing the inverse and transpose of a matrix.
soothsayer

Homework Statement

Show that a product of orthogonal matrices is orthogonal.

Homework Equations

Orthoganol matrix: M-1=MT

The Attempt at a Solution

since A-1=AT
A-1 and AT commute.
commutable => symmetric => A-1AT=(A-1AT)T

(A-1AT)-1=A-1AT/det(A-1AT)
=> (A-1AT)-1(A-1AT)=(A-1AT)2/det(A-1AT)
M-1M=I
M2=-I
=> I=-I/det(A-1AT)=> det(A-1AT) = -1
=> (A-1AT)-1=-(A-1AT)
=> (A-1AT)-1=/=A-1AT ??
I'm sure I did something wrong here. Probably overstepped an assumption. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi soothsayer! :smile:

i don't understand what you're trying to do :redface:

you have to prove that if A-1=AT and B-1=BT, then (AB)-1=(AB)T :wink:

Yes, I understand that, but what practical way do I have of proving that?

what's another way of writing (AB)-1 ? :wink:

Well, for orthoganol A and B, it would be = (AB)T and I believe you can also write it as B-1A-1, correct?

hi soothsayer! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
tiny-tim said:
what's another way of writing (AB)-1 ? :wink:
soothsayer said:
… I believe you can also write it as B-1A-1, correct?

correct! :smile:

ok, now what's another way of writing (AB)T ? :wink: :wink:

1. What is the definition of an orthogonal matrix?

An orthogonal matrix is a square matrix whose columns and rows are orthogonal unit vectors. This means that the dot product of any two columns or rows is equal to zero, and the magnitude of each column or row is equal to 1.

2. How do you prove that the product of two orthogonal matrices is also orthogonal?

To prove that the product of two orthogonal matrices is orthogonal, we must show that the resulting matrix has orthogonal columns and rows. This can be done by using the definition of an orthogonal matrix, along with the properties of matrix multiplication.

3. Why is it important to understand the proof of the product of orthogonal matrices?

Understanding this proof is important because it helps us to better understand the properties and applications of orthogonal matrices. It also allows us to use this knowledge to solve more complex problems in linear algebra and other fields of science.

4. Can the proof of the product of orthogonal matrices be extended to more than two matrices?

Yes, this proof can be extended to any number of orthogonal matrices. This is because the properties of orthogonal matrices, such as having orthogonal columns and rows, hold true regardless of the number of matrices being multiplied together.

5. How is the proof of the product of orthogonal matrices used in real-world applications?

The proof of the product of orthogonal matrices is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to solve problems involving rotations, reflections, and other transformations. For example, it is used in computer graphics to rotate and transform 3D objects in a virtual space.