Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonal basis

1. Aug 27, 2011 #1
    Why is an orthogonal basis important?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    Insights Author

They're important in so many ways. For example, in Fourier series, where we can say

[tex]x=\sum_{i=1}^n{\frac{<x,e_i>}{<e_i,e_i>}e_i}[/tex]

And this provides the very foundation for trigonometric series and harmonic analysis.

4. Aug 27, 2011 #3
    Because basis vectors have got to be orthogonal ( perpendicular ) so that they are Linearly Independent and one of them can not be formed from any combo of others.

Take i , j , k

can you solve for a ,b ,c in ai+bj+ck = 0 without setting all to zero ?

5. Aug 27, 2011 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

They don't have to be orthogonal. In an arbitrary curved space, it is not generally possible to find basis vectors that are mutually orthogonal.

6. Aug 27, 2011 #5
    But one will have a projection unto another, is not this an infraction of " linear independency " ?

7. Aug 27, 2011 #6
    No it is not an infraction.

Any set of enough non parallel vectors from a vector space can be used as a basis.
    However finding the correct coefficients is more difficult (laborious) than for an orthogonal set since the orthogonality means they can be found one at a time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?