Parabolic Coordinates: u,v,φ in x,y,z

In summary, the conversation discusses using parabolic coordinates to show orthogonality. The speaker mentions the need to find the basis vector and rearrange the equations to solve for u, and suggests using a quadratic equation to do so.
latentcorpse
Show that the parabolic coordinates [itex](u,v,\phi)[/itex] defined by

[itex]x=uv \cos{\phi} , y=uv \sin{\phi} , z=\frac{1}{2}(u^2-v^2)[/itex]

now I am a bit uneasy here because to do this i first need to find the basis vector right?

so if i try and rearrange for u say and then normalise to 1 that will give me [itex]\vec{e_u}[/itex]

[itex]u^2v^2=x^2+y^2[/itex] and [itex]u^2-2z=v^2[/itex]
[itex]u^2(u^2-2z)=x^2+y^2 \Rightarrow u^4-2u^2z=x^2+y^2[/itex] - i.e. my problem is I am finding it impossible to rearrange for u...

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't finish the question ("Show that the parabolic coordinates what?").
If you want to solve
[tex]u^4 - 2u^2z = x^2 + y^2[/tex]
you could set U = u2 and solve the quadratic equation
[tex]a U^2 + b U + c = 0[/tex]
with a = 1, b = - 2 z, c = -(x^2 + y^2); for U.

yep. that's my bad. i need to show they're orthogonal.

1. What are parabolic coordinates?

Parabolic coordinates are a coordinate system commonly used in mathematics and physics to describe points in three-dimensional space. They consist of three coordinates: u, v, and φ, which correspond to the distance from the origin along two perpendicular parabolic curves and the angle formed by these curves, respectively.

2. How are parabolic coordinates related to Cartesian coordinates?

Parabolic coordinates are related to Cartesian coordinates through a mathematical transformation. The x, y, and z coordinates in Cartesian coordinates can be expressed in terms of u, v, and φ in parabolic coordinates, and vice versa. This allows for a conversion between the two coordinate systems.

3. What are the advantages of using parabolic coordinates?

One advantage of using parabolic coordinates is that they can simplify the representation of certain geometric shapes and equations. They are particularly useful in situations where the problem has cylindrical or rotational symmetry. Additionally, they can make certain calculations, such as finding the volume of a paraboloid, easier to solve.

4. How are parabolic coordinates used in real-world applications?

Parabolic coordinates are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in solving problems related to fluid dynamics, electrostatics, and heat conduction. They can also be used in computer graphics to model and render complex shapes and surfaces.

5. What are some common misconceptions about parabolic coordinates?

One common misconception about parabolic coordinates is that they are only applicable to parabolic shapes. While they are well-suited for representing these types of shapes, they can also be used to describe other types of surfaces and objects. Additionally, some people may mistakenly believe that parabolic coordinates are difficult to understand or use, but with some practice, they can be a useful tool for solving mathematical problems.