What is the physical interpretation of orthogonal eigenfunctions?

In summary: In the last case, the coefficients in the polynomial are the eigenvalues of the operator. In summary, two wavefunctions are orthogonal if their squared magnitude does not interact at a particular point in space. This can be explained by considering the wave functions as vectors in a Hilbert space, and noting that the squared magnitude of a vector does not depend on the direction of the vector.
ce124
Can anyone give me a physical interpretation of what orthogonal eigenfunctions are please? I understand the mathematical idea, the overlap integral, but I'm not clear about what it implies for the different states. At the moment the way I'm thinking of it is that the energy eigenfunctions of an orthonormal set are at right angles to one another in multidimensional eigenvalue space, ie the overlap integral can tell us the probability of being in a particular state but not of being in two states at once. How far off is this?

:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have a problem with orthogonal eigenstates, you have it with states. You have a problem with the first postulate of QM itself. A phisical state can be discribed by a ket, and the ket can be expressed in terms of a combination of the kets of a complete base, a complete base of kets that in turn represent physical states. If the base is orthogonal everything is easier. TRy expressing a function of x in terms of the base {x^n), n=0,infinity (taylor expansion). It's much harder than doing it in terms of legendre polynomials, which are orthogonal.

NOTE: The measuring device referred to below is one which can be used to perform a "measurement" of a nondegenerate observable whose spectrum is discrete.

ce124 said:
Can anyone give me a physical interpretation of what orthogonal eigenfunctions are please?
The physical measuring device (see "NOTE" above) has an orthonormal basis of eigenfunctions associated with it (call this basis {|n> ; n = 1,2,...[finite or infinite]}). Whenever this device is used to perform a "measurement", one of these eigenfunctions is, so to speak, "selected" as the "result" of the "measurement".

I understand the mathematical idea, the overlap integral ...
Suppose that the quantum system is in the state |f> at the time just before the "measurement" occurs. Then, the probability that the "selected result" will be the eigenfunction |n> is given by the modulus-square of the overlap integral between |n> and |f>, namely,

P(n) = |<n|f>|^2 .

... but I'm not clear about what it implies for the different states.
If the initial state |f> of the quantum system already happens to be one of those special eigenfunctions associated with the device, say |f> = |m>, then the probability P(n) above equals zero for n different from m, and equals unity for n = m. Physically, this means:

If the quantum system is already in an eigenstate of the observable just before the "measurement" occurs, then that eigenstate will be "selected" as the "result" with certainty.

Does this help?

I'm not sure if this is the actual meaning of the question, but what I would like someone to explain is:
1) What you actually mean when you say that two wavefunctions are orthogonal. I know what this means in terms of vector functions but wavefunctions are scalars.
2) What the physical significance of the different eigenfunctions of an operators being orthogonal - in a kind of "eigenspace" or whatever you like to call it. I know people always stress that the mathematics of quantum mechanics can rarely be put into physically intuitive terms, but can this idea be explained in this way?

Wave functions are vectors in Hilbert space* of two vectors is zero, so that any variation in the magnitude of one does not affect the magnitude of the other. Recall that the squared magnitude of a wave function at a value is interpreted as the probability of finding whatever observable you are desribing at that value, so the point of orthogonality is that the probabilities of the two wave functions don't interact.

* The function itself may be scalar valued, but it, the function, is an element of the vector Hilbert space. The values of Hilbert space range over not the scalars but the FUNCTIONS.

Last edited:
The functions are "vectors" before you evaluate them with a particular argument. When you evaluate them with a particular argument, you get a component value, where the component is the argument.

One basis for this vector space is the domain of the function. Another (equally valid, sometimes) basis is a set of polynomials.

1. What are orthogonal eigenfunctions?

Orthogonal eigenfunctions are a set of functions that are both orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other and are the eigenvectors of a linear operator. They are used to represent complex functions as a linear combination of simpler functions.

2. How are orthogonal eigenfunctions used in mathematics?

Orthogonal eigenfunctions are used in many different areas of mathematics, including differential equations, Fourier analysis, and quantum mechanics. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving boundary value conditions and in representing complex functions in a simpler form.

3. What properties do orthogonal eigenfunctions possess?

Orthogonal eigenfunctions have several important properties, including orthogonality (perpendicularity), normalization (having a length of 1), and completeness (being able to represent any function as a sum of the eigenfunctions). They also form a basis for the function space in which they exist.

4. Can orthogonal eigenfunctions be complex?

Yes, orthogonal eigenfunctions can be complex. In fact, many important functions in mathematics are complex, such as the sine and cosine functions. Complex eigenfunctions can also be used to represent complex functions, and the properties of orthogonality, normalization, and completeness still hold true.

5. How are orthogonal eigenfunctions related to eigenvalues?

Orthogonal eigenfunctions are the eigenvectors of a linear operator, and each eigenfunction is associated with a corresponding eigenvalue. The eigenvalue represents the scale factor by which the eigenfunction is stretched or shrunk when operated on by the linear operator. The eigenfunctions and eigenvalues are often used together to solve differential equations and other mathematical problems.