1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonal Integral

1. Jun 29, 2008 #1

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

On page 102 of Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, Griffiths writes that
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{i\lambda x}e^{-i \mu x}dx = 2\pi\delta(\lambda-\mu)[/tex]

I don't see how this follows. If you replace lambda with mu, then you get a cancellation, and the integral of 1dx. Am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2008 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you would have to know a bunch of stuff about distributions and integration theory to understand that. I can't say that I do, so I can only give you a very non-rigorous argument based on some ugly manipulations with Fourier transforms:

We know that if f is a nice enough function, it has a Fourier transform g that can be defined by

[tex]g(p)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int f(y)e^{-ipy}dy[/tex]

The theorem that guarantees that also says that f can now be expressed as

[tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int g(p)e^{ipx}dp[/tex].

If we insert the first expression into the second and recklessly switch the order of the integrations, we get

[tex]f(x)=\int f(y)\bigg(\frac{1}{2\pi}\int e^{ip(x-y)}dp\bigg)dy[/tex]

So if there's some way to justify switching the order of the integrations (which would have to include a new definition of what we mean by an "integral"), the expression in parentheses must be [itex]\delta(x-y)[/itex].

4. Jun 30, 2008 #3

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay that (sort of) makes sense. Thanks!

5. Jun 30, 2008 #4
    TO be more rigorous you should introduce delta as generalized function and then use a limiting procedure on test-function space D!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?