1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonal Projections

1. Sep 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let P be a projection. The definition used is P is a projection if P = PP. Show that ||P|| >=1 with equality if and only if P is orthogonal.

Let ||.|| be the 2-norm

2. Relevant equations
    P = PP. P is orthogonal if and only if P =P*

3. The attempt at a solution

I've proved the first part of ||P|| >= 1 and the first part of the equality portion. Assume P is orthogonal prove ||P|| = 1. However, I'm having a lot of trouble with the second part: Assume ||P|| = 1 show P is orthogonal.

Can someone point me in the right direction or suggest any ideas on how to use ||P|| = 1 to show that P = P*?

I've been playing around with inner products to try to solve this part but haven't gotten anything good out of it that uses the fact that ||P|| = 1

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2
    I know that the square roots of the nonzero eigenvalues of P*P or PP* are the singular values of P and thus also P*. The ||P|| = max{singular value} thus P and P* have the same 2-norm. ||P||=||P*||=1.
    I write <(PP*-P*P)x,x> = <P*x,P*x>-<Px,Px>=||P*x||^2-||Px||^2
    ||P|| = sup (||Px||) where ||x|| = 1.
    Does this necessarily mean that ||Px||=||P*x||? I'm thinking the max values of both norms are equal but does that mean that they are equal for all other x values?

If that is true then <(PP*-P*P)x,x> = 0 thus PP*=P*P so P is normal

and a normal matrix is self adjoint so this would complete the last part of the proof.

Does this make sense? I'm worried because I don't really use the fact that ||P|| = 1

I was thinking that maybe since the norm is 1 that could maybe imply ||P*x||=||PX|| and then I would follow as above.

I'm not sure if this is the right direction to go in or if I'm way off.

Thanks for any help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook