I Orthogonal projections

Hi PF!

I've been reading and it appears that the orthogonal projection of a vector ##v## to the subspace spanned by ##e_1,...,e_n## is given by $$\sum_j\langle e_j,v \rangle e_j$$ (##e_j## are unit vectors, so ignore the usual inner product denominator for simplicity) but there is never a proof in the texts. It's always given by definition or I see "trivial" next to the proof. Surely this is something we prove, right?

StoneTemplePython

Science Advisor
Gold Member
it really depends on what you're trying to do here, as there are lots of flavors of this. Suppose we have vectors in ##\mathbb C^m## with ##m \geq n## and use the standard inner product.

you have some vector ##\mathbf u## and you project it to a subspace with these n mutually orthornormal vectors. You can do this explicitly with ##\mathbf v = P\mathbf u## where ##P## is a projector -- i.e. ##P^2 = P## and ##P = P^*##.

so we have a generating set for this subspace and use it to write ##\mathbf v## as a linear combination of these. (Note: ignoring the zero vector: if you have an inner product, orthogonality implies linear independence, why?)

so
##\mathbf v = \sum_{j=1}^n \alpha_j \mathbf e_j##

multiply on the left by ##\mathbf e_k^*## (conjugate transpose) to see

##\mathbf e_k^*\mathbf v = \mathbf e_k^*\sum_{j=1}^n \alpha_j \mathbf e_j = \sum_{j=1}^n \alpha_j \mathbf e_k^*\mathbf e_j = \alpha_k \mathbf e_k^*\mathbf e_k = \alpha_k##

now re-write this with general inner product notation -- same result.

(Note: ignoring the zero vector: if you have an inner product, orthogonality implies linear independence, why?)
This is simple to show: take ##c_1v_1+...+c_nv_n = 0## and dot this into some ##v_j##. Then orthogonality implies for non-zero ##v##, ##c_j=0##, and thus linear independence.

And thanks! Good to see it.

Last edited: