1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonal spanning set

1. Apr 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let V be an inner product space. Show that if w is orthogonal to each of the vectors
    u1,u2,...,ur, then it is orthogonal to every vector in the span{u1,u2,...,ur}.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not sure how to show this, if w is orthogonal to every vector u1,u2,...,ur, wouldn't w already be orthogonal to the spanning set?

The spanning set is a subspace of the subspace of the inner product space of V.

Am I suppose to show it symbolically?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Two things to consider:

(1) What is the definition of orthogonality?
    (2) What does a general element of ##\text{span}\{u_1, \ldots,u_r\}## look like?

4. Apr 14, 2014 #3
    So for orthogonality two vectors in an inner product space are orthogonal if (in this case) the vectors <u, w> = 0.

A spanning set is just the set of all linear combinations of the vectors in V.

So for the spanning set w = k1u1 + k2u2,...,krur

which becomes

0 = k1u1 + k2u2,...,krur

so the only difference between w being orthogonal with u1,u2,...,ur is that there is some scalar k thats been thrown into the mix?

5. Apr 14, 2014 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK.

Well, the right hand side is a general element of the span, so that's good. But we want to check whether ##w## is orthogonal to this element, we don't want to set ##w## equal to this element. So to avoid confusion, let's give the general element a new name, say ##v = k_1 u_1 + \ldots + k_r u_r##. Now you want to check whether ##w## is orthogonal to ##v##. So what is ##\langle w, v \rangle##?

6. Apr 14, 2014 #5
    ##\langle w, v \rangle## = ku1w+ku2w+...+kurw =0

then after saying that, if k was the zero vector it proves that to be true

7. Apr 14, 2014 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you don't need ##k## to be the zero vector. Let's take a step back.
    $$\langle w,v \rangle = \langle w, k_1 u_1 + \ldots + k_r u_r\rangle = ?$$
    What properties of the inner product do you know that can help to simplify this? The goal is to get an expression involving ##\langle w, u_i\rangle## for ##i=1, \ldots, r##.

8. Apr 14, 2014 #7
    Properties of inner products say the scalar k can be brought out as such k<w,u>

so we could say k<w, ui> = 0 for k ε R and for i = 1, 2, ... r

then at this point the value of k doesnt matter because i have already said that <w, ui> = 0 for i = 1, 2, ... r.

Please correct me if Im wrong, I think im starting to see it.

I

9. Apr 14, 2014 #8

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right. You also need one more fact, namely:
    $$\langle w, k_1 u_1 + \ldots + k_r u_r \rangle = \langle w, k_1 u_1 \rangle + \ldots + \langle w, k_r u_r \rangle$$
    Now you can apply your step of sliding the ##k_i##'s out of the inner product, and use the fact that ##\langle w, u_i \rangle = 0## as you said.

One small detail: in case you happen to be working with complex numbers, the ##k_i##'s get conjugated if you move them from the second position in the inner product. So:
    $$\langle w, k_i u_i \rangle = \overline{k_i} \langle w, u_i\rangle$$
    But if you move them from the first position then there is no conjugate:
    $$\langle k_i u_i, w \rangle = k_i \langle u_i, w \rangle$$
    If the ##k_i##'s are real numbers, then it doesn't make any difference, since the conjugate of ##k_i## is just ##k_i##.

10. Apr 14, 2014 #9
    This is a basic linear algebra course so we only work with real values. But thank you so much for all your help, I truly understand this now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted