1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonal Trajectories

1. Nov 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the orthogonal trajectories of the family of curves. Use a graphing device to draw several members of each family on a common screen.
    y = x/(1+kx)

2. The attempt at a solution

I have been trying this problem for hours, and I get a different answer every time. I have a big exam over this material tomorrow, and I just discovered that someone in this forum may be able to help me. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

The following is my most recent attempt. This was after I got help from a friend. I know that it must be wrong, but it's as far as I have gotten.

y = x/(1+kx)
    y' = dy/dx = x/[(x+kx)^2]
    slope of tangent line = x/[(x+kx)^2]
    slope of orthogonal line = -(1+kx)^2
    dy = [-(1+kx)^2]dx

After that, I am completely stuck. I do not think I am anywhere close to the answer. Also, I have no idea how to go about graphing it. Please help!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm ignoring what I think are typos, like the correct y' is 1/(1+kx)^2. Your final line looks good though. Now just integrate both sides. Use a substitution u=1+kx. Or just square it out if you have to.

4. Nov 14, 2007 #3
    Do you really think I am on the right track? I thought I was supposed to take K out early on, but I do not know when, or what to replace it with. I just think that my final answer is not supposed to have K in it.

5. Nov 14, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I think you are on the right track. And I don't see why you think the final answer shouldn't have a k in it.

6. Nov 14, 2007 #5
    My final answer is y=-[(1+KX)^3]/3K + C. I think that should be correct. To graph it, will I just graph the original equation y = x/(1+kx) and then add y=-[(1+KX)^3]/3K + C for different values of K and C?

In my math book, it says that K is an arbitrary constant and that you have to do it for all values of K, so you find K as follows:
    y = x/(1+kx)
    1+kx = x/y
    k=(x-1)/y

I just do not know when I would add it into the problem. Perhaps this is correct:
    y = x/(1+kx)
    y' = dy/dx = x/[(x+kx)^2]
    And replacing k with (x-1)/y...
    slope of tangent line = x/[(x+[(x-1)/y]x)^2] = (xy^2)/(x^4)

Does that look right? I'm so confused...

7. Nov 14, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For someone who has done all the right stuff, you are mighty confused. Let f(x)=x/(1+kx) and g(x)=c+(1+kx)^3/(-3k). You have shown that f'(x)=-1/g'(x). So if you put in any values of c and k, then if f(x) and g(x) intersect, they will intersect at a right angle. They are orthogonal.

8. Nov 14, 2007 #7
    LOL, I think I'm just getting stressed out because it's almost the end of the semester, and I want to be prepared for Calculus III next semester. Thank you so much for helping me; I will just go to bed and hope I pass the exam tomorrow.

Thanks again!
    (:

9. Nov 14, 2007 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good strategy, you probably will if you get some sleep. You are doing a lot of stuff right.

10. Nov 15, 2007 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Dick, the differential equation defining the family y= x/(1+kx) should NOT have a "k" in it. The k determines which member of the family you have. Once you have determined y'= f(x,y), write y'= -1/f(x,y) and integrate that to find the orthogonal trajectories. You will get a constant of integration in that, of course.

I would be inclined to do it this way: write y= x/(1+kx) as y(1+ kx)= x. That allows you to do two things. First, differentiating both sides, y'(1+ kx)+ ky= 1. Also y+ kxy= x so kxy= x- y and you have both kx= (x-y)/y and ky= (x-y)/x. y'(1+ (x-y)/y)+ (x-y)/x= 1.
    1+ (x-y)/y= x/y and 1- (x-y)/x= y/x. The equation of the original family is (x/y)y'= (y/x) or y'= y2/x2.

11. Nov 15, 2007 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks, Halls. Or just write (1+kx)=x/y and put that into the derivative the OP already has y'=1/(1+kx)=y^2/x^2. I had a feeling something was going awry...

12. Nov 15, 2007 #11
    Wow, my answer was really wrong. I guess it does not matter since my exam has already passed, but thanks for the help, guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?