Orthogonal transformation problem

In summary: to get the transpose, this is also why you can't just use the transpose of a matrix, the order of the matrix matters.
Lunat1c

Homework Statement

Lets say I fix 3 mutually orthogonal unit vectors i, j and k. Consider an orthogonal transformation F of vectors defined by [tex] F(a_1i+ a_2j + a_3k)=a_1'i+a_2'k+a_3'k [/tex] where

[tex] \left( \begin{array}{ccc} a_1 \\ a_2 \\ a_3\end{array}\right) = A\left( \begin{array}{ccc} a_1' \\ a_2' \\ a_3'\end{array}\right) [/tex] for a fixed orthogonal matrix A.

How can I show that F(v).F(w)=v.w?

I tried to do this by letting

[tex] v = \left( \begin{array}{ccc} a_1 \\ a_2 \\ a_3\end{array}\right), w= \left( \begin{array}{ccc} a_1' \\ a_2' \\ a_3'\end{array}\right) [/tex]

but the fact that I don't know A is holding me back from doing this, so I think there must be some other approach.

Any help would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org

I wouldn't use [tex]w=\begin{pmatrix} a_1' \\ a_2' \\ a_3'\end{pmatrix}[/tex] if I were you, since it is not a general vector, it is related to [tex]v=\begin{pmatrix} a_1 \\ a_2 \\ a_3\end{pmatrix}[/tex] by [itex]v=Aw[/itex]. Instead, you want to use a general vector like [tex]w=\begin{pmatrix} b_1 \\ b_2 \\ b_3\end{pmatrix}[/tex].

What is [itex]v\cdot w=v^Tw[/itex] if [itex]v=Av'[/itex] and [tex]w=Aw'[/itex]? What is [itex]A^TA[/itex] for an orthogonal matrix?

gabbagabbahey said:
I wouldn't use [tex]w=\begin{pmatrix} a_1' \\ a_2' \\ a_3'\end{pmatrix}[/tex] if I were you, since it is not a general vector, it is related to [tex]v=\begin{pmatrix} a_1 \\ a_2 \\ a_3\end{pmatrix}[/tex] by [itex]v=Aw[/itex]. Instead, you want to use a general vector like [tex]w=\begin{pmatrix} b_1 \\ b_2 \\ b_3\end{pmatrix}[/tex].

What is [itex]v\cdot w=v^Tw[/itex] if [itex]v=Av'[/itex] and [tex]w=Aw'[/itex]? What is [itex]A^TA[/itex] for an orthogonal matrix?

Ok, so I'll name my vectors differently. However how did you get [itex]v\cdot w=v^Tw[/itex] ?

Also, in reply to your question [itex]A^TA=I[/itex]

[tex]v\cdot w=v^Tw[/tex]
this is just a dot product written in matrix notation, the transpose comes about as to satisy matrix multiplication, you must multiply a 1xn matrix (row vector) with a nx1 matrix (column vetcor)

What is an orthogonal transformation?

An orthogonal transformation is a type of mathematical operation that preserves the length and angle between vectors. This means that the transformation does not change the shape or size of the objects being transformed.

Why is the orthogonal transformation problem important?

The orthogonal transformation problem is important in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows us to accurately describe and analyze the movement and orientation of objects in three-dimensional space.

What are some examples of orthogonal transformations?

Some examples of orthogonal transformations include rotations, reflections, and shears. These transformations are commonly used in 3D modeling and animation, as well as in computer graphics and image processing.

How is an orthogonal transformation represented?

An orthogonal transformation can be represented by an orthogonal matrix, which is a square matrix with orthogonal columns. This matrix can be used to perform the transformation on a vector or set of coordinates.

What is the difference between an orthogonal transformation and a non-orthogonal transformation?

The main difference between an orthogonal transformation and a non-orthogonal transformation is that the former preserves the length and angle between vectors, while the latter does not. Non-orthogonal transformations can distort the shape and size of objects being transformed, making them less useful in certain applications.