1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonal vectors

1. Nov 21, 2012 #1
    How do you check if 2 vectors are orthogonal?

I know that if 2 vectors are orthogonal, then there dot product is 0. But I don't think that necessarily means if their dot product is 0, the 2 vectors are orthogonal. Like what if you had 2 zero vectors, their dot produt would be 0, but they're not orthogonal.

I also know that the angle between the 2 vectors is 90 degrees. I think this one that 2 vectors that are 90 degrees apart are orthogonal. Right?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Sure they are. The zero vector is considered to be orthogonal to every other vector, including another zero vector.
    Right.

4. Nov 21, 2012 #3
    Okay thank you.

Also if we have 2 vectors u and v, and vector w is the projection of u onto v.
    How is the length of w determined?

5. Nov 21, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It depends on the projection. If you mean an orthogonal projection (i.e. orthogonal to v) then it will satisfy (u-w).v = 0

6. Nov 21, 2012 #5
    Uh, for this problem I'm doing the instructions are "The vector w is called the orthogonal projection of u
    onto v. Sketch the three vectors u, v, and w."

I attached my work.
    Vector u is given to be [-2 3]
    v is given to be [4 0]

I calculated the orthogonal projection of u onto v
    by 1st finding the dot product of u and v.
    Then dividing that by the magnitude of vector v squared.
    Then multipling that by vector v.
    This gave:
    w=[-2 0]

Attached Files:

7. Nov 21, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looks like a valid method and the right answer. And it does satisfy (u-w).v = 0.

8. Nov 21, 2012 #7
    I think for this one you can find out by inspection since vector v is on the x axis. I jsut saw that the projection equation I used is introduced in a later section, so I probably should have used another method.
    What other method is there if this were not an obvious case where v is not on the x axis? As in how do you find the length of vector w.

9. Nov 21, 2012 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't see an easier way than deriving that equation.
    It's clear that w = λv for some scalar λ. And orthogonality gives (u-w).v = 0, right?
    Substitute for w and determine λ.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook