Nullspace of Orthogonal Vectors: Example Matrix

In summary: I get a = 2, b = -1, c = 1, d = 0, e = 2, f = -0.5, g = 0, h =1a b c de f g hYou are not writing a matrix, you are writing a set of equations.ehildIn summary, the problem asks to find a matrix A for which S is the nullspace, and the solution is any matrix with coefficients a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h that satisfies the equation Ax = 0, where x is a vector in the subspace S. This can be represented
negation

Homework Statement

Let S be the subspace of all vectors in R4 that are orthogonal to each of the vectors
(0, 4, 4, 2), (3, 4, -2, -4)
What is an example of a matrix for which S is the nullspace?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how I should be intepreting the question:

[ 0 ,4 ,4 ,2 ;3, 4, -2, -4] = [ x , y ,z , t] = [ 0 , 0 ]

0x + 4y + 4z + 2t = 0

3x + 4y -2 z -4t = 0

from here I set up an augmented matrix and solve for the set of vectors x ,y ,z ,t? By definition if x, y, z, t results in each linear equation = 0, then, x ,y ,z ,t are vectors with properties of orthogonality?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is multiplication instead of equality in the first line? If yes, it looks all right, do it.

ehild

ehild said:
There is multiplication instead of equality in the first line? If yes, it looks all right, do it.

ehild

[ 0 ,4 ,4 ,2 ;3, 4, -2, -4] .[ x , y ,z , t] = [ 0 , 0 ]

Yes, it should be a multiplicative operation-dot product.
But I aren't exactly sure what should I be doing with the 2 linear equation. Do I perform reduce row echelon?

negation said:

But I aren't exactly sure what should I be doing with the 2 linear equation. Do I perform reduce row echelon?
Yes. But it is of that form already... You will have two free parameters.

ehild

ehild said:
Yes. But it is of that form already... You will have two free parameters.

ehild

I'm still unclear. Could you explain?

There is the system of equations:

0x + 4y + 4z + 2t = 0

3x + 4y -2 z -4t = 0

What is the general solution?

ehild

ehild said:
There is the system of equations:

0x + 4y + 4z + 2t = 0

3x + 4y -2 z -4t = 0

What is the general solution?

ehild

It is done by setting up an augmented matrix:

0 4 4 2 | 0
3 4 -2 -4 | 0

Perform REF(Not RREF), then solve for the variables.

Edit: x1 = 2x3 + 2x4, x2 = -x3-0.5x4, x3, x4

Last edited:
Well, solve for the variables...

ehild

ehild said:

ehild

Post #7

X3=a, x4=b a,b free parameters. So the S subspace consists of vectors ((2a+2b); (-a-0.5b); a; b).
And a matrix for which S is the nullspace?

ehild

ehild said:

ehild

Relooking at the question, I'm not sure if we interpreted it correctly.

I think the question is asking for the {SX=0|x1=0,4,4,2, x2=(3,4,-2,-4),S[itex]\in R4[/itex]}

Edit: I think we were on the right track.

But this brings up a question. What if we're asked to solve S, given X where SX = 0?

Last edited:
negation said:
Let S be the subspace of all vectors in R4 that are orthogonal to each of the vectors
(0, 4, 4, 2), (3, 4, -2, -4)

negation said:
Relooking at the question, I'm not sure if we interpreted it correctly.

I think the question is asking for the {SX=0|x1=0,4,4,2, x2=(3,4,-2,-4),S[itex]\in R4[/itex]}
Let's untangle your notation. S is a subspace of R4 such that if v ##\in## S, then v ##\cdot## <0, 4, 4, 2> = 0 and v ##\cdot## <3, 4, -2, -4> = 0.

The problem asks that you find a matrix (call it A) for which S is the nullspace of A. IOW, if v ##\in## S, then Av = 0.

ehild said:
X3=a, x4=b a,b free parameters. So the S subspace consists of vectors ((2a+2b); (-a-0.5b); a; b).
And a matrix for which S is the nullspace?

ehild
Isn't the vector [2z+2t; -z-0.5t;z;t] the answer?

S is the nullspace of a linear transformation T, that is, Tv =0 for all vectors v[itex]\in[/itex]S. Show a matrix of that transformation. (You have shown one in Post #3) .

ehild

negation said:
Isn't the vector [2z+2t; -z-0.5t;z;t] the answer?
See post #12. The "answer" should be a matrix, not a vector.

In addition, what you have above would be better written as two vectors - a basis for S.

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
S is the nullspace of a linear transformation T, that is, Tv =0 for all vectors v[itex]\in[/itex]S. Show a matrix of that transformation. (You have shown one in Post #3) .

ehild

Am I suppose to perform another one? I thought we have had all the solutions already. 2 are free variables and the corollary is that there are infinite solutions.

The subspace S contains infinite number of vectors. You have found these vectors already.

The next question is

ehild

ehild said:
The subspace S contains infinite number of vectors. You have found these vectors already.

The next question is

ehild

any matrix with coefficient [itex]\in R[/itex]?

Mark44 said:
See post #12. The "answer" should be a matrix, not a vector.

In addition, what you have above would be better written as two vectors - a basis for S.

basis for S : z (2,-1,1,0) + t (2,-0.5,0,1)

Your wording is peculiar. z (2,-1,1,0) + t (2,-0.5,0,1) is a general vector in S. The set of vectors {(2, -1, 1, 0), (2, -0.5, 0, 1)} is a basis.

The answer to this question is any matrix, A, such that A applied to each of those two vectors is 0.

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
The answer to this question is any matrix, A, such that A applied to each of those two vectors is 0.
Similar to what I said in post #12.
Mark44 said:
The problem asks that you find a matrix (call it A) for which S is the nullspace of A. IOW, if v ∈ S, then Av = 0.

HallsofIvy said:
Your wording is peculiar. z (2,-1,1,0) + t (2,-0.5,0,1) is a general vector in S. The set of vectors {(2, -1, 1, 0), (2, -0.5, 0, 1)} is a basis.

I think I got it. Set any value for the free variables vand work from there.

negation said:
I think I got it. Set any value for the free variables vand work from there.
I'm not sure you get it. As has been said multiple times, you need to find a matrix.

negation said:
any matrix with coefficient [itex]\in R[/itex]?

NO!

You have written in post #3:

When you perform matrix multiplication, you do the dot product of the vector v=(x,y,z,t) with the first line of the matrix as row vector and get zero, as the are normal to each other, and the same when multiply the second row of the matrix with the vector v. So one matrix A that fulfils equation Av=0 is ?

ehild

ehild said:
no!

You have written in post #3:
When you perform matrix multiplication, you do the dot product of the vector v=(x,y,z,t) with the first line of the matrix as row vector and get zero, as the are normal to each other, and the same when multiply the second row of the matrix with the vector v. So one matrix a that fulfils equation av=0 is ?

Ehild
v1 = 0x + 4y + 4z +2t = 0
v2 = 3x + 4y -2z -4t = 0

for v1 and v2 = 0; (x,y,z,t) = (0,0,0,0)

zero vector!

What are you talking about? Have you found the matrix yet?

Mark44 said:
Similar to what I said in post #12.
Yes, it was. But negation had then asked the same question again.

negation,
This is becoming very frustrating for us. We have said in posts 10, 12, 14, 15, 17, 20, 21, 23, 24, and 26 that this problem is asking you to find a matrix. We can't say it more plainly than that.

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
What are you talking about? Have you found the matrix yet?

I have. It's (0,0,0,0),(0,0,0,0) which was correct.

Edit: Too many question to keep track of.

3,4,-2,-4

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
negation,
This is becoming very frustrating for us. We have said in posts 10, 12, 14, 15, 17, 20, 21, 23, 24, and 26 that this problem is asking you to find a matrix. We can't say it more plainly than that.

I apologized. I misread the question. But I found the answer to be (0,0,0,0),(0,0,0,0)

Edit: Opps, answer to wrong question. Too many question to keep track.

Ans:

3,4,-2,-4

Last edited:

1. What is the nullspace of orthogonal vectors?

The nullspace of orthogonal vectors refers to the set of all vectors that, when multiplied by a given matrix, result in a zero vector. In other words, it is the set of vectors that are perpendicular to all of the columns of the matrix.

2. How is the nullspace of orthogonal vectors calculated?

To calculate the nullspace of orthogonal vectors, we can use the Gram-Schmidt process. This involves finding a set of orthogonal vectors that span the same subspace as the original vectors. Then, we can find the nullspace by taking the vectors that are orthogonal to the span of the original vectors.

3. What is an example of a matrix with orthogonal vectors?

An example of a matrix with orthogonal vectors is the identity matrix, where all of the columns are perpendicular to each other. Another example is a rotation matrix, where the columns represent vectors that are perpendicular to each other in a 2D or 3D space.

4. Why is the nullspace of orthogonal vectors important?

The nullspace of orthogonal vectors is important because it allows us to find solutions to systems of linear equations. If the nullspace is non-empty, it means that there are infinitely many solutions to the equations. This can be useful in many applications, such as in image and signal processing.

5. Can the nullspace of orthogonal vectors be empty?

Yes, the nullspace of orthogonal vectors can be empty. This occurs when all of the vectors in the matrix are linearly independent and span the entire space. In this case, there are no vectors that are perpendicular to all of the columns, and therefore the nullspace is empty.