1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonality- Gram-Schmidt

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider L2, the inner product space of the complex sequences x = (xn) such that [tex]\sum[/tex] xi converges,
    with the inner product given by
    <x,y> = (sum of) xi yi(complex conjugate)

Now let
    x = (1,0,1,0,1,0,0,0...)
    y = (1,i,0,i,0,i,0,0,0...)
    z = (-1,1,i,-1,1,i,0,0..)

(xn = yn = zn for all n>7 = 0)

a) Is the set {x,y,z} an orthogonal set in L2?

b) If not use the Gram-Schmidth orthogonalization process to get an orthogonal set with the same span

Sol.

A) well i know it cant be orthogonal because if it was there wouldn't be a part b but i cant give that as an answer so for them to be orthogonal <x,y> = 0 but i get <x,y> = 1 so they are not orthogonal(but are orthonormal) so the answer is no, the set is not an orthogonal set in L2

i think i've got that right?

b) to apply Gram-schmidth you first have to remove 0 from the list

which i did giving
    x = 1,1,1,0,0,0,0...
    y = 1,i,i,i,0,0,0,0,..
    z = -1,1,i,-1,1,i,0,0...

and then fill into the formula, but when i do this its not working out, is there something im missing?

Thanks a mill for reading and sorry some of the code didn't work,i hope you can understand the question.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2
    First of all....in part (a) you write that the set of vectors is orthonormal. This is not true: if a set of vectors are not orthogonal, then they are certainly not orthonormal.

Secondly, you are confusing the instuction about removing 0 from the set: it means you should remove the 0 vector if it appears in the set, NOT remove any zero entries in the vectors.

4. Apr 27, 2010 #3
    thanks for the reply,your right they obviously aren't ON either but i think i have shown that they are not orthogonal, right?

in second part, so it only the 0 vector i remove but leave the 0 entries in the vectors, thanks a million.
    It still doesnt seem to be working out.is there something else im missing.
    im try to find 3 new sequences say u1,u2 and u3 i start with letting
    x = u1
    then
    u2 = y- [<y,u1>/||u1||2] u1

u3 = z- [<z,u1>/||u1||2] u1 - [<z,u2>/||u2||2] u2

am i doing this right,its not working out?
    Thanks for the help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook