Exploring the Orthogonality of Sine and Cosine Functions in Fourier Series

In summary, the 90 degree phase difference between sine and cosine functions does not contribute to their orthogonality. The orthogonality can be explained by Sturm-Liouville theory, specifically through the concept of eigenvalue problems and eigenfunctions. The sequence {sin(nx)} is an example of eigenfunctions in the S-L problem where they are orthogonal on the interval (0, pi). To understand this concept better, one can refer to resources such as the Sturm-Liouville theory page on Wikipedia.
Wicketer
Could someone kindly explain whether the 90 degree phase difference between sine & cosine functions contribute to the fact that they are orthogonal? I just studied Fourier series and treating sines and cosines as vectors is fine for my brain to handle, but I can't tell whether the phase difference of 90 degrees is a coincidence relative to their orthogonality in an infinite dimension space. Just trying to understand what I learn.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would answer that with a no, but I'm open to a contrary view. Phase shifting doesn't explain the orthogonality of {sin(nx)} on (0,pi), for example. To really get a grip on it I think you need to look at Sturm-Liouville theory about eigenvalue problems and orthogonality of eigenfunctions. A good place to look is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturm–Liouville_theory

The sequence {sin(nx)} are eigenfunctions of the S-L problem

y'' + λy = 0
y(0)=0, y(pi)=0

1. What is the definition of orthogonality in regards to sine and cosine?

Orthogonality in regards to sine and cosine means that the two trigonometric functions are perpendicular to each other, meaning they intersect at a 90-degree angle.

2. How is orthogonality of sine and cosine useful in mathematics and science?

Orthogonality of sine and cosine is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, including signal processing, Fourier analysis, and geometry. It allows for easier analysis and manipulation of periodic functions.

3. Can sine and cosine ever not be orthogonal to each other?

No, sine and cosine will always be orthogonal to each other as long as they have different frequencies. However, if they have the same frequency, they will be parallel to each other and not orthogonal.

4. What is the relationship between orthogonality and the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. In the case of sine and cosine, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to show that the sum of the squares of their values at any point is equal to 1, making them orthogonal to each other.

5. How is orthogonality of sine and cosine used in the field of engineering?

In engineering, orthogonality of sine and cosine is used in signal processing to analyze and manipulate signals with different frequencies. It is also used in electrical engineering to analyze AC circuits and in control systems to analyze periodic behavior.