Orthogonality of Momentum Eigenstates: Why is ##\int e^{-ix}e^{2ix}dx=0##?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of orthogonality in relation to momentum eigenstates represented by the functions ##\phi_1## and ##\phi_2##. The values of the momenta ##p_1## and ##p_2## are given as ##1*\hbar## and ##2*\hbar## respectively, with corresponding values of ##k## as ##1## and ##2##. The functions are represented as ##e^{ix}## and ##e^{2ix}##, and orthogonality is shown through the equation ##\int \phi_1^*\phi_2dx=0##. The question is posed as to why this is the case, specifically for
Isaac0427
Insights Author
Consider two momentum eigenstates ##\phi_1## and ##\phi_2## representing momenta ##p_1## and ##p_2##. For the sake of easy numbers, ##p_1=1*\hbar## (with ##k=1##) and ##p_2=2*\hbar## (with ##k=2##). Thus, ##\phi_1=e^{ix}## and ##\phi_2=e^{2ix}##. Orthogonality states that
##\int \phi_1^*\phi_2dx=\int e^{-ix}e^{2ix}dx=0##
Why is this?

I understand how orthogonality would work with dirac deltas (i.e. I know why position eigenfunctions are orthogonal in position space and why momentum eigenfunctions are orthogonal in momentum space, etc.) but I am unclear of how it works with plane waves.

Also, I am specifically asking why ##\int e^{-ix}e^{2ix}dx=0##, not why orthogonality works in general (I understand its derivation using the definition of hermitian operators and the inner product).

Physics news on Phys.org
You could first try to plot some graphs of real functions ##\sin k_1 x \sin k_2 x## where ##k_2## is much larger than ##k_1## and convince yourself of the fact that there's practically as much "positive" as "negative" surface area between the graph and the x-axis.

Likes Jilang and Isaac0427
hilbert2 said:
You could first try to plot some graphs of real functions ##\sin k_1 x \sin k_2 x## where ##k_2## is much larger than ##k_1## and convince yourself of the fact that there's practically as much "positive" as "negative" surface area between the graph and the x-axis.
I guess then that my question is how do you numerically evaluate that improper integral?

When talking about rigorous mathematics, the improper integral does not converge, but I guess you can show that if you calculate an integral ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-a|x|}e^{-ix}e^{2ix}dx## (which does converge) and take the limit ##a \rightarrow 0+##, then you get value 0.

What is the concept of orthogonality in momentum eigenstates?

Orthogonality refers to the property of two vectors being perpendicular or at a right angle to each other. In the context of momentum eigenstates, this means that two wavefunctions representing different momentum states have no overlap or interference with each other.

Why is it important to understand the orthogonality of momentum eigenstates?

Understanding the orthogonality of momentum eigenstates is crucial in quantum mechanics because it allows us to easily calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific momentum state. It also forms the basis for the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics and is essential in solving many problems in this field.

What does the integral ##\int e^{-ix}e^{2ix}dx## represent in the context of momentum eigenstates?

This integral represents the overlap between two different momentum eigenstates. In other words, it calculates the interference between two wavefunctions representing different momentum states. The result of this integral is used to determine the probability of a particle being in a particular momentum state.

Why is the integral ##\int e^{-ix}e^{2ix}dx## equal to 0?

This integral is equal to 0 because the two wavefunctions, ##e^{-ix}## and ##e^{2ix}##, are orthogonal to each other. This means that they have no overlap and do not interfere with each other. As a result, the integral evaluates to 0, indicating that the probability of finding a particle in both momentum states simultaneously is 0.

How does the orthogonality of momentum eigenstates relate to the uncertainty principle?

The orthogonality of momentum eigenstates is closely related to the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the momentum of a particle, the less we know about its position, and vice versa. This is because, in order for two momentum states to be orthogonal, they must have different momenta, leading to uncertainty in both position and momentum measurements.