How do I draw a blueprint for adding L-shaped welds to a hollow cylinder?

• Thread starter abhipatel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drawing
In summary, the person is seeking guidance on how to draw a blueprint for a hollow cylinder with 6 L-shaped welds on the bottom. They mention that dimensions are not important at this point and suggest looking at real objects and examples for help. It is also noted that fillet welds would likely be used and a side view with the proper weld symbol is all that is needed. A link to an example of this type of weld is provided for reference.
abhipatel
am bit confused...years since I have reviewed orthographic drawings...I have a hollow cylinder (say a pipe with inner & outer diameter) and I want to add 6 L-Shaped welds to its bottom to be able to weld it to a plate.

I cannot figure out how to draw a blueprint for the same for the machinist (Top,Side, sectional views) . Can anyone guide me on how to draw it? Dimensions could be changed and are not important now...I just need to understand the concept.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Easiest way is to look at a real object like a coffee cup from each of the 3 directions and think what you can see.

It might also be useful to google some examples for 1st or 3rd angle projection depending which your country uses.

L shaped welds? In this case you would probably be looking at fillet welds. A side view with a proper weld symbol is all you would need. The example uses the "2-4" notation to indicate the length and pitch dimensions of the weld. The only thing you would need to add is the "all around" symbol to the weld symbol.

http://www.unified-eng.com/scitech/weld/filletstitch.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that in the picutres Fred posted, the weld dimensions being located above the line indicate the "opposite side" of the joint, compared to where the arrow is pointing. If you have numbers above and below the line, that indicates welds on both sides of the joint.

What is an Orthographic Drawing Aid?

An Orthographic Drawing Aid is a tool used in technical drawing to help create accurate and precise orthographic projections. It is typically used in engineering, architecture, and other fields that require precise technical drawings.

How does an Orthographic Drawing Aid work?

An Orthographic Drawing Aid typically consists of a ruler or straight edge and a protractor. The ruler is used to draw straight lines, while the protractor is used to measure and draw angles. By using these tools, an illustrator can accurately create orthographic projections by hand.

What are the benefits of using an Orthographic Drawing Aid?

The use of an Orthographic Drawing Aid can greatly improve the accuracy and precision of technical drawings. It also allows for easier visualization of complex objects and can save time and effort when compared to freehand drawing.

Are there any limitations to using an Orthographic Drawing Aid?

While an Orthographic Drawing Aid can greatly improve technical drawings, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for creating very detailed or intricate drawings, and it may require some practice and skill to use effectively.

Can an Orthographic Drawing Aid be used for other types of drawings?

While an Orthographic Drawing Aid is primarily used for technical drawings, it can also be used for other types of drawings such as perspective drawings or illustrations. However, it may not be as effective for these types of drawings compared to more specialized tools.