1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthonormal procces question

1. Mar 4, 2009 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2009 #2
    is that correct??

4. Mar 5, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not going to go through all of that calculation! You should be able to check for your self if they are independent (if so then since there are three vectors, yes, they form a basis for the subspace) and if they are orthonormal.

I will make two comments. You do not "divide by the normal". You "normalize" a vector by dividing by its length. And it is generally simpler to normalize each vector (divide by its length) as you calculate each vector, not at the end.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  5. Mar 5, 2009 #4
    so first i divide each vector by its length
    and then i do the orthogonalization process
    did i wrote the orthogonalization formula correctly
    ??

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  6. Mar 5, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

After you have found a vector perpendicular to all the previous vectors, divide by its length. That will simplify the rest of the calculation.

Again, check it yourself. Do all the vectors have length 1 (is the dot product of any vector with itself equal to 1)? Are all the vector orthogonal to all the others (is the dot product of two different vectors 0)?

7. Mar 5, 2009 #6
    ok after,
    whats the right formula for the orthogonolazation proccess

did i used the correct formula??
    did i put the vectors in the right place?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook