1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthonormal vector question

1. Feb 24, 2009 #1
    there is
    W=span{v1=(1,0,i),v2=(2,1,1+i)}
    find the orthonormal basis of
    [tex]
    W^\perp
    [/tex]

i can do a row reduction and add another vector
    which is independant to the other two.
    so thy are othogonal.and then divide each coordinate of a given vector by the normal
    of that vector

but what is
    [tex]
    W^\perp
    [/tex]
    ??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]W^\perp[/tex] is the set of all vector in the space C3 orthogonal to every vector in W. It's easy to show it is also a subspace.

In order that a vector, u= (a, b, c), be orthogonal to every vector in W, it is sufficient that it be orthogonal to v1 and v2 and that is true as long as their dot products are 0:
    (a, b, c).(1, 0, i)= a+ ci= 0 and (a,b,c).(2,1,1+i)= 2a+ b+ (1+i)c= 0. That gives you two equations in three unknowns. You can solve for two of the unknowns, say a and b, in terms of the other, c. "Normalize" the vector by choosing c so that its length is 1 and that will be your "orthonormal" basis. C3, the set of all ordered triples of complex numbers, has dimension 3. Since W has dimension 2, its "orthogonal complement" has dimension 1 so a basis consists of a single vector and you don't have to worry about the "ortho" part of orthonormal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook