1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthonormalizing functions

1. May 11, 2010 #1
    In class we worked out the following

[tex]

\int e^{ik(x-X)}dk=\frac{e^{ik(x-X)}}{i(x-X)}\approx \frac{sin[k(x-X)]}{x-X}

[/tex]

by taking the real part of the solution. My teacher wants us to graph the following functions

[tex]

\psi_{1} \sim \frac{sin(x)}{x}

[/tex]

[tex]

\psi_{2} \sim \frac{sin(x)}{x}-\frac{1}{2}\frac{sin(2x)}{2x}

[/tex]

The second function, though, has a little dip in it at 0 that shouldn't be there. He says that's due to the fact that the functions aren't normalized and that we should be doing Gram-Scmidt or some other procedure to obtain the proper results. However, when I do Gram-Schmidt I get something nasty that can't possibly be correct (and most importantly, doesn't correct the problem). So what am I doing wrong?

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2
    For Gram-Schmidt I take interval as (0, 2π). Then

[tex]

\phi _{0} = \frac{sin(x)}{x\sqrt {Si(4 \pi)}}

[/tex]

[tex]

\psi _{1} = \left \{ \frac{sin(x)}{x}-\frac{1}{2}\frac{sin(2x)}{(2x)}\right \}-\left [ \int_{0}^{2\pi}\left \{ \frac{sin(x)}{x}-\frac{1}{2}\frac{sin(2x)}{(2x)}\right \}\frac{sin(x)}{x\sqrt {Si(4 \pi)}}dx \right ]\frac{sin(x)}{x\sqrt {Si(4 \pi)}}

[/tex]

[tex]

\psi _{1} \sim \frac{0.2627sin(x)}{x}-\frac{1}{2}\frac{sin(2x)}{2x}

[/tex]

[tex]

\phi _{1} \sim 3.3631\left \{ \frac{0.2627sin(x)}{x}-\frac{1}{2}\frac{sin(2x)}{2x} \right \}

[/tex]

using the procedure for Gram-Schmidt outlined here: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Gram-SchmidtOrthonormalization.html

and with a weighting function of 1.

4. May 11, 2010 #3
    Any suggestions?

Last edited: May 11, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook