Exploring the Cavendish Experiment: Inertia & Elasticity

In summary, the two equations come from the equations of motion for each system. The first equation, T=2Pi(SQRT(I/K)), comes from Hooke's law for a simple physical system composed of a mass attached to a spring. The second equation, T=64L sqrt I, comes from the equation of motion for the system as a whole.
Cyrus
Hi, I have been reading about the cavendish experiment and in one equation they say that

[tex] T = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac I k} [/tex]

where I is the moment of inertia and k is the elastic constant.

in my physics books i only find [tex] T = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac m k} [/tex]

where m is the mass, not the moment of inertia, anyone know how they got to this equation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since moment of inertia is usually something like mass x radius squared,
I think they have kept the radius constant and included it in the constant k.

The k in your first equation is a torsional stiffness with units (Nm)/rad

The k in your second equation is a linear stiffness with units N/m

If you work out the units, you will see that they both work out properly. Both equations come from the equations of motion for each system (meaning the differential equation that describes the motion of the system). We can get into that if you like; just let me know.

Hey James, Id sure like it if you could explain that in more detail please. I will look forward to your post. I will try to find some more info in this via the net in the meantime.

Look forward to reading your post.

Cyrus Abdollahi

Consider a simple physical system composed of a mass attached to a (grounded) spring. If you were to pull the mass a distance x, the restoring force from the spring with a magnitude equal to |kx|, where k is the stiffness of the spring and has units of N/m. This comes from Hooke's law.

Say you want to write the equation of motion for this simple system (this should be in your textbook). Draw a free body diagram and remember Newton's second law so that you can write:

[tex] m\ddot x = -kx [/tex]
[tex] \ddot x + \frac{k}{m}x = 0 [/tex]

The solution to this differential equation is:

[tex] x = A\cos\left(\omega_nt + \phi \right) [/tex]

(I hope this looks familiar.) In this equation,
ωn = √(k/m) and the period of the motion is given by:
[tex] T = \frac{2\pi}{\omega_n} = 2\pi\sqrt{\frac m k} [/tex]

Now all of this is analagous to the torsional situation in Cavendish's experiment. Now, Hooke's law looks like this:

[tex] \tau = K_t \theta [/tex]

where Kt is the torsional stiffness (of the wire) that we're talking about, with units [Nm/rad].

The analagous equation of motion becomes:
[tex] \ddot \theta + \frac{K_t}{I}\theta = 0 [/tex]
[tex] \theta = A\cos\left(\omega_nt + \phi \right) [/tex]

and in this case, ωn = √(Kt/I)

so

[tex] T = \frac{2\pi}{\omega_n} = 2\pi\sqrt{\frac{I}{K_t}} [/tex]

So I hope that made things clearer rather than muddier. Let me know if I can help any more.

I am taking physics 2 right now and we did this as the first chapter! WOO HOO! Thanks it all makes sense to me now. WOW what a clever way of making linear oscialtion into rotational through the use of that little picture. What a clever guy that hooke was.

James or anyone else, is there an equation to derive the torsional stiffness (k), involving say young's modulus? Thanks.

Yes. It is a function the shear modulus, G (which is related to Young's modulus by Poisson's ratio for isotropic materials) and the geometry of the cross section. KT = GJ(x)
(J(x) is the polar moment of inertia of the cross section). For example, for a cylinder, the cross section is a circle, for which J = πd4/32.

Thanks James...that was very helpful.

The investigation i am doing now is to do with the factors that affect the time period and damping effects of a torsional pendulum. Recommend any good places for research?

How does length affect the time period of a torsional pendulum?

Joep...come on Joe I've told you before! k=GPi d^4/32L

T=2Pi(SQRT(I/K))

Substitute all that together and you'll have it.

yeah by doing that i got

Gd^4
T= -------
64 l sqrt I

I was looking for something like T = k * l^1/2
or something, as I wasn't banking on working
out moment of inertia etc. ah well... cheers JF.

1. What is the Cavendish experiment?

The Cavendish experiment is an experiment designed by British scientist Henry Cavendish in the late 18th century to measure the gravitational constant, G. It is also known as the torsion balance experiment.

2. How does the Cavendish experiment work?

The experiment involves two pairs of lead spheres suspended from a horizontal beam. The spheres are arranged in such a way that their gravitational attraction causes the beam to twist. By measuring the amount of twist, the gravitational constant can be calculated.

3. What is the significance of the Cavendish experiment?

The Cavendish experiment was the first successful attempt to measure the gravitational constant, which is a fundamental constant in physics. It also provided evidence for the existence of the force of gravity and helped to confirm Isaac Newton's law of universal gravitation.

4. What is inertia and elasticity in the context of the Cavendish experiment?

Inertia refers to an object's resistance to changes in its state of motion, while elasticity refers to an object's ability to return to its original shape after being deformed. These concepts are important in the Cavendish experiment as they play a role in the behavior of the suspended spheres and the measurement of the gravitational constant.

5. Are there any modern versions of the Cavendish experiment?

Yes, there are modern versions of the Cavendish experiment that use more advanced technology, such as laser interferometers, to measure the tiny twists in the beam caused by the gravitational attraction of the spheres. These experiments continue to be important in refining the value of the gravitational constant and testing theories of gravity.