What is the origin of the minus sign in the derivatives of an oscillating body?

In summary, oscillating body derivatives are mathematical expressions used to describe an object's behavior in oscillatory motion. They are calculated using mathematical principles such as calculus and differential equations and provide information about an object's displacement, velocity, and acceleration over time. These derivatives are important in accurately modeling and predicting the behavior of objects in oscillatory motion, and can be influenced by external factors. They can also be applied to real-world systems for analysis and prediction.
Ugnius
Homework Statement
Body of mass 0.2kg is oscillating. A = 5cm , w=π rad/s , t = 1/6 s. Find the force and momentum.
Relevant Equations
s(t) = Asin(wt)
I know it is a quite simple task.
p = mv and F=ma.
All i need to do is find the normal and double derivatives of s(t). But here's the problem , i have the answers and they state that first derivative is v =
-Awcoswt and second is -Aw^2sinwt. Everything is quite clear to me, but I am wondering can someone explain where the minus before A comes from?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a mistake, ##\frac{ds(t)}{dt} = A\omega \cos{\omega t}##, whilst ##\frac{d^2s(t)}{dt^2} = -A\omega^2 \sin{\omega t}##.

1. What are oscillating body derivatives?

Oscillating body derivatives refer to the mathematical equations used to describe the motion of an object that is oscillating or vibrating. These equations take into account factors such as the object's mass, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How are oscillating body derivatives used in science?

Oscillating body derivatives are used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and biology. They help scientists understand and predict the behavior of oscillating systems, such as pendulums, springs, and vibrating molecules.

3. What is the difference between first and second order oscillating body derivatives?

First order oscillating body derivatives describe the relationship between an object's position, velocity, and acceleration. Second order derivatives take into account the effects of external forces, such as gravity or friction, on the object's motion.

4. How do oscillating body derivatives relate to harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion is a type of oscillation where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object. Oscillating body derivatives are used to describe the behavior of harmonic systems, such as a mass on a spring.

5. Can oscillating body derivatives be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, oscillating body derivatives are used to model and analyze many real-world systems, including musical instruments, bridges, and electronic circuits. They are also used in fields such as medicine and meteorology to study the motion of biological systems and weather patterns.