Oscillating functions and beats : phase

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving the use of Phasor addition to calculate a resultant function and plotting it using Mathematica and Graphical Analysis. The speaker is struggling with getting their phase constants equal and is advised to do further research and seek tutorials if needed.
Justin
The project is located here if you want to read it:

http://maxwell.physics.mun.ca/mpl/Physics1054/Projects/project2_F03/phaseP0.html

I am not sure how I add the two function to get the resultant function ( especially for the beat function). I am supposed to use Phasor addition but in going from trig. form to exponential form, my phase constants aren't equal which makes this more difficult to calculate. I have to then plot the new function using the phasor method in Mathematica and Graphical Analysis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That sounds like a complicated problem! I'd suggest doing some research into Phasor addition and trying to figure out how to get your phase constants equal. If you can't figure it out, maybe look into tutorials on using Mathematica and Graphical Analysis to plot the new function. That should help you understand what you need to do. Good luck!

1. What are oscillating functions?

Oscillating functions are mathematical functions that exhibit repetitive, cyclical behavior. They are characterized by a constantly changing value that moves back and forth between two points, creating a wave-like pattern.

2. How do we measure the phase of an oscillating function?

The phase of an oscillating function is measured by the position of the function in its cycle. It is usually expressed in radians or degrees and represents the amount of time that has passed since the function began its cycle.

3. What is the relationship between phase and frequency in oscillating functions?

The phase of an oscillating function is directly related to its frequency. As the frequency increases, the phase changes more rapidly, and the function completes more cycles in a given period of time.

4. What is a beat in the context of oscillating functions?

In oscillating functions, a beat is a phenomenon that occurs when two waves of slightly different frequencies interfere with each other. This results in a periodic variation in the amplitude of the combined wave, creating a pulsating effect.

5. How can we use oscillating functions and beats in real-world applications?

Oscillating functions and beats have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and music. They are used to model and analyze various phenomena, including sound waves, electrical signals, and mechanical vibrations.