1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillating table and reference frames

1. May 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A horizontal table oscillates with a displacement A sin ωt , where A = (Ax , 0, Az ) is the amplitude vector and ω the angular frequency in an inertial frame of reference with the z axis vertically upwards, normal to the table. A block sitting on the table has mass m and linear friction that results in a force F = −λu, where λ is a constant and u is the velocity difference between the block and the table. Derive the equations of motion for this block in the frame of reference of the table using axes (ξ , η, ζ ) on the table parallel to the axes (x, y, z ) in the inertial frame.

Can someone please help me just derive the equations of motion, so I can continue with the later parts of the question? I'm stuck! :(

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?