1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillation Displacement

1. Nov 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known
    On a very smooth horizontal table, a block of mass m=0.75 kg is attached to an ideal spring with a spring constant k= 242 N/m. The origin of the horizontal coordinate (x=0) is set at the equilibrium position of the block. The block is initially held at a negative position where it keeps the spring compressed. Then the block is released, and moves through position x1=0.105m with a speed v1=1.42 m/s.

a) What was the initial position of the block, x0?

b)What is the maximum speed of oscillation, vmax?

2. Relevant equations
    omega = sqrt(k/m
    F=-kx
    Vmax=A*omega
    x=Acos(2pi*f*t)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought about using conservation of energy by doing KE+PE=W
    W=Fs and KE=1/2mv^2 but I don't think this would give me displacement in terms of a negative/before equilibrium position

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi NY152,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

If you take a close look at the formulas for the components of the energy, both involve the squaring of a term. A negative value squared yields the same amount as a positive value of the same magnitude.

4. Nov 5, 2016 #3
    Thanks for the input!! Do you think I'm on the right track then in terms of those formulas or am I missing something??

5. Nov 5, 2016 #4

gneill

You're on the right track. You're just missing stating the formula for the PE of a spring.

6. Nov 5, 2016 #5
    I only have one attempt left, so I'm just going to post my work here in the hopes that someone might see if I'm doing it right or wrong.

So I did: KE+PE=W W=Fs
    1/2mv^2+1/2kx^2=(-kx)(s)
    and found s to be =-0.0822

7. Nov 5, 2016 #6

gneill

No, the sum of the KE and PE is a constant, the total energy of the system. Better to write:

E = KE + PE

In an isolated system the KE and PE can trade energy back and forth, but their sum is always a constant.

You are given a particular data point with both displacement and velocity. So you can find the value of E which will hold for every point throughout the cycles.

8. Nov 5, 2016 #7
    Sorry for the late reply, so I solved for E and got 2.09, now do I just set that equal to PE + KE when the spring is retracted? In which case would velocity be zero? If so I get x=-0.131

9. Nov 5, 2016 #8

gneill

Yup. Good.

10. Nov 5, 2016 #9
    Alright well it wasn't -0.131, but I got the max velocity right by setting x=0 so I'm not sure where I went wrong but thanks for the help!

11. Nov 5, 2016 #10

gneill

Your initial position should be correct. Did you remember to include the units?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted