Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

OSCILLATION .. kaon antikaon

1. Jan 18, 2016 #1
    what's the relation between kaon antikaon oscillation and two body problem
    . My teacher told me that I should learn kaon antikaon oscillation. . I can't find anything about it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Jan 19, 2016 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

two body problem?

5. Jan 20, 2016 #4
    under
    undergraduate level... infact I can't understand properly where should I look for

6. Jan 20, 2016 #5

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Kaon-Antikaon oscillation doesn't mean that you have them two going around each other, that's why I don't see any relation with the 2-body problem you mentioned.
    In Kaon-Antikaon oscillations you have a Kaon transforming to Antikaon ([itex]K^0 \rightarrow \bar{K}^0[/itex]).

I guess the wikipedia can give you some information. From then on, you can google search or ask.
    Anything undergrad about CP-violation will mention stuff about the Kaon-Antikaon oscillations.

7. Jan 20, 2016 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Kaon-Antikoan oscillation is often used as an example of a real-world two-state system.

8. Jan 21, 2016 #7

ChrisVer

Gold Member

how?

9. Jan 21, 2016 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You have two states, and transitions between them if your chosen basis are not the mass eigenstates.

10. Jan 21, 2016 #9

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The neutral kaon may be a particle or an antiparticle... whether it is a particle or an antiparticle may be considered a state of the system consisting of a single neutral kaon. It's something you can measure.

In QM terms, you can imagine an operator that measures the particle-antiparticle state of the neutral kaon ... the trouble with any of us going further is that "finding out about the neutral kaon oscillations" is the task you have been set. If we just tell you, that would amount to "doing your homework for you" which would defeat the purpose of assigning you the work in the first place. There is a great benefit to you in learning to carry out this sort of research without knowing initially where to start or what you will discover. Indeed: only if you are willing to search into the unknown can you be a scientist. Go for it!

Have you followed advise received so far and looked at the wikipedia page or searched your college library for information?

If you do not follow advise, we cannot help you.

11. Jan 22, 2016 #10

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Sorry; I interpreted the "two-state system" as "two-body system" (in connection to my previous answer/post).

12. Jan 25, 2016 #11

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

A very good treatment in terms of the Wigner-Weisskopf approximation (which anyway any good undergrad QM course should treat in the context of time-dependent perturbation theory) can be found in

O. Nachtmann, Elementary Particle Physics - Concepts and Phenomena, Springer

It's a marvelous textbook on the advanced undergrad level.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook