Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillation of a point x in [c, d] <N => oscillation of subintervals of partition <N

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    Q: Suppose that the oscillation ω_f (x) of a function f is smaller than η at each point x of an interval [c,d]. Show that there must be a partition π of [c,d] s.t. the oscillation
    ωf([x_(k-1),x_k ])<η
    on each member of the partition.

My solution (Rough sketch):

This condition on x is local, so it must be true for a δ-neightborhood of x s.t. ωf(δ(x))<η. Now take a partition s.t. each subinterval [x_(k-1),x_k ]<δ. Thus, each subinterval is less than the δ from the δ-neightborhood of x, so then
    ωf([x_(k-1),x_k ])[itex]\leq[/itex]ωf(δ(x))<η. QED

Is this logic too sloppy? If so, does anyone have any suggestions as to a more proper way to prove this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2012 #2
    Re: Oscillation of a point x in [c, d] <N => oscillation of subintervals of partition

"The oscillation ω_f (x) of a function f is smaller than η at each point x of an interval [c,d]" means [itex]\lim_{t \to 0^+} \omega_{[x-t,x+t]}f(x)=h<\eta\Longrightarrow \forall \epsilon>0\,\,\exists \delta>0\,\,s.t.[/itex]

[itex]0<t<\delta\Longrightarrow \left|\omega_{[x-t, x+t]}f(x)-h\right|<\epsilon[/itex]

Can you take it from here?

DonAntonio

4. Apr 15, 2012 #3
    Re: Oscillation of a point x in [c, d] <N => oscillation of subintervals of partition

That's a much nicer definition of what's going on. Now, I can simply just take a partition of [c, d] s.t. each subinterval of the partition is of equal length, specifically [x-t, x+t], which satisfies the definition of being less than η. Correct?

5. Apr 15, 2012 #4

Well, no, since "t" depends on the particular [itex]x\in [c,d][/itex] are we working with -- and thus it' would have been wiser

to denote it by [itex]t_x[/itex] --, but then you can argue as follows:

Since clearly our original interval [itex] [c,d]\subset \cup_{x\in [c,d]}(x-t_x,x+t_x)[/itex] and it is a compact set in the

real line, there exists a finite number of points....etc.

DonAntonio

6. Apr 15, 2012 #5

You lost me on the finite number of points part. I appologize, as my compactness knowledge is quite scarse.

7. Apr 15, 2012 #6

Well, if you haven't yet studied compact sets I, for one, cannot help you. The continuation of my idea is:

By compactness of [c,d] there exist a finite number of points [itex]x_1,...,x_n\,\,s.t.\,\,[c,d]\subset \cup_{i=1}^n (x_i-t_{x_i},x_i+t_{x_i})[/itex] , so now we can choose

[itex]t:=\max_i\{t_{x_i}\}[/itex] and now yes: end the proof as you wanted before.

DonAntonio

8. Apr 15, 2012 #7

I've been briefly introduced to a few compactness arguments. I see what you mean now, thank you for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook