How to Calculate Spring Constant and Weight from Oscillation Frequency?

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab class that covers content from lectures but is currently working on material not covered in lectures. The speaker has completed the lab report, but is struggling with an extension problem involving finding the spring constant and weight of a package. They mention using the equation T = 2pi√(m/k) and the scale length of 12 cm to solve for k, but are unsure of what other information is needed. They eventually realize they can use Hooke's Law and solve the problem.
Kavorka
I am in a lab class that is suppose to cover the content of the lecture, however this week we are doing things in lab we haven't even touched in lecture. I have been able to finish the entire report, however there is an extension problem on the lab that I'm not sure how to solve, because we have never solved these in the past:

The scale of a spring balance that reads from 0 to 15 kg is 12 cm long. A package suspended from the balance is found to oscillate vertically with a frequency of 2 Hz. (a) What is the spring constant? (b) How much does the package weight?

I'm not sure how to factor the spring's length into this because it isn't mentioned what the displacement from equilibrium is, just the natural length. I also know that frequency and period (T) are inverses. From the lab we have the equation:

T = 2pi√(m/k)

I'm not sure what else to use in order to solve for both m and k. I don't think I can use Hooke's Law as we don't have the weight or the position.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kavorka said:
The scale of a spring balance that reads from 0 to 15 kg is 12 cm long.

How can you make use of this to find k?

Oh stupid me I can just plug in numbers with that info. I have it now!

1. What is the definition of "Oscillation of a Spring"?

The oscillation of a spring refers to the periodic back-and-forth motion of a spring when it is displaced from its equilibrium position and released.

2. What factors affect the oscillation of a spring?

The oscillation of a spring is affected by its mass, stiffness, and the force applied to it. A heavier mass, a stiffer spring, and a stronger force will result in a faster oscillation.

3. How is the period of oscillation calculated for a spring?

The period of oscillation for a spring can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object attached to the spring, and k is the spring constant.

4. What is the relationship between the length of a spring and its oscillation?

The length of a spring has a direct impact on its oscillation. A longer spring will have a longer period of oscillation, while a shorter spring will have a shorter period of oscillation.

5. How does the amplitude affect the oscillation of a spring?

The amplitude, or the maximum displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position, does not affect the period of oscillation. However, a larger amplitude will result in a greater distance traveled by the spring during each oscillation cycle.