1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillation of a Spring

1. Apr 13, 2014 #1
    I am in a lab class that is suppose to cover the content of the lecture, however this week we are doing things in lab we haven't even touched in lecture. I have been able to finish the entire report, however there is an extension problem on the lab that I'm not sure how to solve, because we have never solved these in the past:

The scale of a spring balance that reads from 0 to 15 kg is 12 cm long. A package suspended from the balance is found to oscillate vertically with a frequency of 2 Hz. (a) What is the spring constant? (b) How much does the package weight?

I'm not sure how to factor the spring's length into this because it isn't mentioned what the displacement from equilibrium is, just the natural length. I also know that frequency and period (T) are inverses. From the lab we have the equation:

T = 2pi√(m/k)

I'm not sure what else to use in order to solve for both m and k. I don't think I can use Hooke's Law as we dont have the weight or the position.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How can you make use of this to find k?

4. Apr 13, 2014 #3
    Oh stupid me I can just plug in numbers with that info. I have it now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted