1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillation of a stick

1. Sep 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A meter stick is free to pivot around a position located a distance x below its top end, where 0 < x < 0.50 m(Figure 1) .

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attached my note.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your expression for ##I## about the axis of rotation looks correct to me. Although I think I would have just used ##I = I_{cm} + Md^2## with ##I_{cm} = \frac{1}{12} M L^2##.

It appears to me that you have a mistake in the numerator of your expression inside the square root for ##\omega##. Review the general formula for ##\omega## and make sure you are interpreting the symbols correctly.

4. Sep 17, 2016 #3
    I tried that approach but I failed. Am I annoying?

Attached Files:

5. Sep 17, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It should give the correct answer. If you show your work, we can identify any mistakes. Make sure you are interpreting ##d## correctly. ##d## also occurs in the numerator of ##\omega##.
    Not at all.

6. Sep 17, 2016 #5
    I think d is the distance from the center to the pivot point which is (1/2 - x)

7. Sep 17, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

8. Sep 17, 2016 #7
    Can you help me check out my steps please?

Attached Files:

9. Sep 17, 2016 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are setting it up correctly, but you need to be more careful with simplifying the expressions. Try it again and take your time.

Also, note that ##\frac {d^2\theta}{dt^2}## is not the correct notation for ##\omega ^2##.
    ##\frac {d^2\theta}{dt^2}## is the angular acceleration of the rotational motion.
    But ##\omega## is the angular frequency of the simple harmonic motion; i.e., ##\omega = \frac{2 \pi}{T}##, where ##T## is the period of the simple harmonic motion.

10. Sep 17, 2016 #9
    Yes I know that. I will take a look tomorrow again for my expression. Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. Have a good night!

11. Sep 17, 2016 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. Good luck with it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted