1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillation of magnet

1. May 18, 2008 #1
    hi there ,

When a North Pole of a magnet is made to oscillate in the direction of earths North Pole magnetic field.
    Also When a south pole of a magnet is made to oscillate in the direction of earths north pole magnetic field .

I then measure both of there period of oscillation

When doing this practically. The period of oscillations that I get ,I don’t fell it’s very reliable or accurate.

So I’m thinking there may be physical factors that are effecting the periodic oscillation.

This may be due to the place I’m doing the experiment in i.e. on top of a table might effect, because the table has some metal parts (i.e iron ,not aluminium…) also the building structure I’m inside .(most building are made from metal(steel) and concrete )

And finally the electrical appliances and electric wires, which are carrying current and ones that have magnets in them such as loudspeakers, motores … may have an effect.

I can only think of these, is there any more physical factors? Also how could I improve this experiment?

Thank you for reading this, I would very much appreciate if one could help me, asap.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2008 #2
    How do you get the south pole of a magnet to oscillate in the direction of the earth's north pole? Can you describe your setup?

4. May 18, 2008 #3
    PHP:
        How do you get the south pole of a magnet to oscillate in the direction of the earth's north pole? Can you describe your setup?

i drew it on paint lol. it may help, i think it would be better than me describing . (its attached to this post)

thank you

Attached Files:

5. May 18, 2008 #4
    upload2world.com/pic89/upload2world_f9c67.jpg

the picture is on this link , its not allowing me to write www .

6. May 18, 2008 #5
    If I understand your diagram correctly, the suspension threads provide a restoring force that keeps the magnet from spinning all the way around, as for example a compass needle would. In effect, the threads add to aligning the north pole and oppose alignment of the south pole. I think that, if you also were to measure amplitude of the oscillations, you would see a difference. What is your purpose in doing this?

7. May 18, 2008 #6
    yes your right .different periodic time is observed for both orientations N-N N-S i.e. earths north pole is aligned with north pole of magnet then earths north pole is aligned with soth pole of magnet .N-N takes longer time
    (I have no idea why) -thinking about it theoretically it should be the same.

the peiodic time is the converted to frequency and.... it gets more complex.

(Fn)^(squared) - (Fs)^(squared) = K Hb

Fn = frequency of N-N
    Fs= frequency of N-S
    K= constant (i dont know what it is)
    Hb= earths horizontal magnetic field component

k is Determined then .

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  8. May 18, 2008 #7
    No, theoretically they should not be the same. The thread, or whatever that is, is messing up your experiment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?