1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillation Period

1. Feb 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume that the potential is symmetric with respect to zero and the system has amplitude ##a##, show that the period is given by : ##T=\sqrt{8m}\int^a_0\frac{dx}{\sqrt{V(a)-V(x)}}.##

2. Relevant equations

##E = \frac12 m(\frac{dx}{dt})^2+V(x)##

3. The attempt at a solution

For a particle, I know that at ##t=0## if we release it from rest at position ##x=a## we then have ##\frac{dx}{dt}=0## at ##t=0## and thus ##E=V(a)##. So when the particle reaches the origin for the first time it has gone through one quarter of a period of the oscillator. Thus, I have to integrate with respect to t from ##0## to ##\frac{T}{4}## and rearrange the equation ##E## for ##\frac{dx}{dt}##. But from here I am not sure how to set it up properly to get ##T=\sqrt{8m}\int^a_0\frac{dx}{\sqrt{V(a)-V(x)}}.##

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2015 #2
    Hi. Indeed you already have everything to set up your integral:
    If you substitute your value of E in Hamilton's equation, can you separate the variables (functions of x on one side, functions of t on the other)?

4. Feb 9, 2015 #3
    I have ##V(a) -V(x) = \frac12m(\frac{dx}{dt}2) \implies 2\sqrt{V(a)-V(x)} = m\frac{dx}{dt} \implies \implies \sqrt{\frac{2}{m}}dt = \frac{dx}{\sqrt{V(a)-V(x)}}## but I am confused on how they to get ##T##.

5. Feb 9, 2015 #4
    What about integrating both sides? You know the limits of the integrals (for t and x) from your first post, so what do you get?

6. Feb 9, 2015 #5
    When I am integrate I am not sure how they got the ##\sqrt{8m}##.

7. Feb 9, 2015 #6
    What do you get when you integrate dt from 0 to T/4?

8. Feb 9, 2015 #7
    We will get ##T/4## if we integrate dt from 0 to T/4.

9. Feb 9, 2015 #8
    Ok, then what is (T/4)⋅(2/m)1/2?
    This is just algebra...

10. Feb 9, 2015 #9
    Oh wow.. how dumb am I. Thank you very much!

11. Feb 20, 2017 #10
    Can you show step by step procedure? I am confused

12. Feb 20, 2017 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The thread is a year old. Quite possibly neither participant still uses PF. If you have been given the same homework problem, please follow forum rules by posting your own attempt. A new thread might be best.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted