Solving Oscillation Problem: Find Time for Pendulum with 30m Cable

• Thread starter Cougar1112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscillation
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a pendulum and the time required for one complete oscillation. The correct formula for calculating the time is T=2pi[L/g]^1/2. After correcting a calculation error, the final answer is 11 seconds.
Cougar1112
A wrecking ball is suspended from a crane by a cable that is 30 m long. How much time is required for such a simple pendulum to make one complete oscillation? no picture was given to me

Ok this is a pendulum problem and its asking for time which is the period.

So I think that this formula should work since its a simple harmonic motion prob. and asking for Time.

T= 2pi[L/g]^1/2

T=2pi[30/9.81m/s]^1/2
T=9.61s

Is this correct or did I miss something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the reasoning and the equation look fine, but I'm getting a different answer. You might check the calculation again.

yeah I made a calculation error. Now I got 11s as the time. Thanks Diane

1. How do you calculate the time for a pendulum with a 30m cable?

To calculate the time for a pendulum with a 30m cable, you can use the formula T = 2π√(l/g), where T is the period of the pendulum, l is the length of the cable, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Plug in the values and solve for T to find the time.

2. What is the formula for calculating the period of a pendulum?

The formula for calculating the period of a pendulum is T = 2π√(l/g), where T is the period, l is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does the length of the cable affect the time of a pendulum?

The length of the cable directly affects the time of a pendulum. As the length increases, the period of the pendulum also increases. This means that the pendulum will take longer to complete one full swing.

4. What is the best way to measure the length of a pendulum's cable?

The best way to measure the length of a pendulum's cable is to measure from the point of suspension to the center of mass of the pendulum bob. This will give you the most accurate measurement of the length of the cable.

5. How does gravity affect the time of a pendulum?

Gravity plays a significant role in the time of a pendulum. The acceleration due to gravity, g, is used in the formula for calculating the period of a pendulum. The higher the acceleration due to gravity, the shorter the period of the pendulum will be.