1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillation Question

1. Nov 23, 2006 #1
    The suspension system of a 1700 kg automobile "sags" 13 cm when the chassis is placed on it. Also, the oscillation amplitude decreases by 43% each cycle. Estimate the values of (a) the spring constant k and (b) the damping constant b for the spring and shock absorber system of one wheel, assuming each wheel supports 425 kg.

I have looked at this problem for awhile, and I have no clue where to even start... So I was just looking for a little help to get started in the right place, thank you in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

HINT: Hooke's Law

4. Nov 25, 2006 #3
    Alright, I have the same question. After applying Hooke's Law I think i found the spring constant, which is fairly straightforward. Now, how do i find the damping constant? I'm a little unclear as to which equation to use, because they have more then one unknown variable.

5. Nov 27, 2006 #4
    I was able to solve the first part, but I could not get the second part. The book gives us two equations, and I think I am supposed to use this one : omega (w) = Square root of (k/m - b squared/4msquared). But beyond that, I am unsure what I am supposed to do

6. Nov 27, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that the following equation may be more useful.

[tex]x(t)=x_m\cdot e^{-bt/2m}\cos(\omega\cdot t)[/tex]

where x is the displacement, xm is the amplitude, and I'm sure you know the rest...

Now, from the above equation we can see that at t = 0 [itex]x=x_m[/itex], yes? If we then assume that [itex]b<<\sqrt{km}[/itex], then the period of the springs is approximately that of an undamped mass-spring system, therefore we can calculate the time period of the oscillator. And you know that after one time period that xm has decrease by 43%. Can you go from here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?