Optimizing Automobile Suspension: Calculating Spring and Damping Constants

• Thread starter cd80187
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscillation
In summary, the suspension system of a 1700 kg automobile "sags" 13 cm when the chassis is placed on it. The oscillation amplitude decreases by 43% each cycle. To estimate the values of the spring constant k and damping constant b, assuming each wheel supports 425 kg, Hooke's Law can be applied. The spring constant can be found using the equation x(t)=x_m\cdot e^{-bt/2m}\cos(\omega\cdot t). The damping constant can then be calculated by assuming b<<\sqrt{km} and using the calculated time period of the oscillator.
cd80187
The suspension system of a 1700 kg automobile "sags" 13 cm when the chassis is placed on it. Also, the oscillation amplitude decreases by 43% each cycle. Estimate the values of (a) the spring constant k and (b) the damping constant b for the spring and shock absorber system of one wheel, assuming each wheel supports 425 kg.

I have looked at this problem for awhile, and I have no clue where to even start... So I was just looking for a little help to get started in the right place, thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Hooke's Law

Alright, I have the same question. After applying Hooke's Law I think i found the spring constant, which is fairly straightforward. Now, how do i find the damping constant? I'm a little unclear as to which equation to use, because they have more then one unknown variable.

I was able to solve the first part, but I could not get the second part. The book gives us two equations, and I think I am supposed to use this one : omega (w) = Square root of (k/m - b squared/4msquared). But beyond that, I am unsure what I am supposed to do

I think that the following equation may be more useful.

[tex]x(t)=x_m\cdot e^{-bt/2m}\cos(\omega\cdot t)[/tex]

where x is the displacement, xm is the amplitude, and I'm sure you know the rest...

Now, from the above equation we can see that at t = 0 [itex]x=x_m[/itex], yes? If we then assume that [itex]b<<\sqrt{km}[/itex], then the period of the springs is approximately that of an undamped mass-spring system, therefore we can calculate the time period of the oscillator. And you know that after one time period that xm has decrease by 43%. Can you go from here?

What is an oscillation?

An oscillation is a repetitive back-and-forth motion or movement around a central point or position.

What causes oscillation?

Oscillation can be caused by a variety of factors, including forces such as gravity, tension, or compression, as well as external disturbances or changes in energy.

What are some examples of oscillation?

Some examples of oscillation include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a spring compressing and expanding, or the vibrations of a guitar string.

How is oscillation measured?

Oscillation can be measured using various units, such as frequency (measured in Hertz), amplitude (measured in meters), or period (measured in seconds).

What are the applications of oscillation in science?

Oscillation has many applications in science, including in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. It is used in devices such as clocks, musical instruments, and seismometers, and also plays a role in the functioning of many living organisms.