1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillation Questions

1. Feb 17, 2013 #1
    Suppose that [itex]f[/itex] is bounded by [itex]M[/itex]. Prove that [itex]ω(f^2,[a,b])≤2Mω(f,[a,b])[/itex].

I can show that [itex]ω(f,[a,b])≤2M[/itex] and that [itex]ω(f^2,[a,b])≤M^2[/itex] but this procedure is getting me nowhere. I also have a similar problem that likely calls for the same approach:

Suppose that [itex]f[/itex] is bounded below by [itex]m[/itex] and that [itex]m[/itex] is a positive number. Prove that [itex]ω(1/f,[a,b])≤ω(f,[a,b])/m^2[/itex].

This one I think I have right but my instructor is telling me that it's wrong. Since all values are positive, by the nature of [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex], [itex]\displaystyle\sup f = \frac{1}{\displaystyle\inf f}[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle\inf f = \frac{1}{\displaystyle\sup f}[/itex]. We can now analyze the oscilation as follows:

[itex]ω(1/f,[a,b])=\frac{1}{\displaystyle\inf f}-\frac{1}{\displaystyle\sup f}=\frac{ω(f,[a,b])}{(\displaystyle\inf f)(\displaystyle\sup f)}≤\frac{ω(f,[a,b])}{m^2}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's probably not the most elegant, but you could try breaking it into separate cases according to the signs of sup f and inf f.
    I think you mean [itex]\displaystyle\sup \frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{\displaystyle\inf f}[/itex] etc. Other than that, your proof looks fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook