1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillations: Damped Block

1. Jun 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The drawing to the left shows a mass m= 1.8 kg hanging from a spring with spring constant k = 7 N/m. The mass is also attached to a paddle which is emersed in a tank of water with a total depth of 27 cm. When the mass oscillates, the paddle acts as a damping force given by -b(dx/dt) where b= 270 g/sec. Suppose the mass is pulled down a distance 1.1 cm and released.

a) What is the time required for the amplitude of the resulting oscillations to fall to one third of its initial value?
    ΔT = 14.64816 sec

b) How many oscillations are made by the block in this time?
    ????????
    2. Relevant equations

[tex]A(t)=A(0)e^{-bt/2m}[/tex]
    ???

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved part a) and the computer verified my answer so I know its correct. I am just stuck on part b. I think I need to somehow find the period and then take the time in a) and divide it by the period. My book is confusing and I am not sure which equation to use.

EDIT: Finally found equation for period. It was T= 2pi sqrt (k/m) and then I took my answer from a) and divided it by the period to get the answer.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted