• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Oscillations - Finding Displacement at a Speed, Given Displacement at Another Speed

• Thread starter Glorzifen
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A 0.10kg mass is on a spring with k = 0.10 N/m. At time t=0s it crosses x=0m with a velocity of 2.0m/s. What is its displacement when v=1.0m/s?

Homework Equations

x(t) = Acos(wt + [tex]\varphi[/tex])
v(t) = -wAsin(wt + [tex]\varphi[/tex])
w = [tex]\sqrt{k/m}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

According to the question...shouldn't v(0) = 2? When a plug those numbers into the v(t) equation I get: v(0) = -wAsin(0) = 0...in other words, v(0) = 0...what am I missing here? I have an idea of where to go from here, but if someone could clarify how I'm supposed to start, that would be great. Thanks for your time.

Answers and Replies

rock.freak667
Homework Helper

The Attempt at a Solution

According to the question...shouldn't v(0) = 2? When a plug those numbers into the v(t) equation I get: v(0) = -wAsin(0) = 0...in other words, v(0) = 0...what am I missing here? I have an idea of where to go from here, but if someone could clarify how I'm supposed to start, that would be great. Thanks for your time.
Remember you have x=Acos(ωt+φ) so x(0) = Acosφ

v=Aωsin(ωt+φ), v(0) does not give you Aωsin(0), remember there is still φ which is unaffected by t being equal to zero.

Remember you have x=Acos(ωt+φ) so x(0) = Acosφ

v=Aωsin(ωt+φ), v(0) does not give you Aωsin(0), remember there is still φ which is unaffected by t being equal to zero.
Okay - not sure if this route even needs to be undertaken at all though...does this work?:

Etotal = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]kx2 + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv2

Etotal = 0 + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]0.1(2)2

Etotal = 0.2

0.2 = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex](0.1)x2 + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]0.1(1)2

x = 1.7

Does that work?

rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Yes that works just as well.