Oscillations Problem: Please help

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving an air-track glider attached to a spring with a given spring constant and damping constant. The question is how many oscillations will occur in a specified time as the amplitude decays to e^-1 of its initial value. The conversation guides the person to use the damping coefficient to find the time it takes for the oscillation to decay to the specified amount. Then, using the frequency, they can determine the number of oscillations in that time. The recommended source for physics tutorials is hyperphysics, and investing in a textbook is also suggested.
mihir871
[SOLVED] Oscillations Problem: Please help

Homework Statement

A 290 g air-track glider is attached to a spring with spring constant 4.10 N/m . The damping constant due to air resistance is 2.40×10^−2 kg/s. The glider is pulled out 28.0 cm from equilibrium and released.

How many oscillations will it make during the time in which the amplitude decays to e^-1 of its initial value?

Homework Equations

[tex]\omega=[/tex]2[tex]\pi[/tex]/T
T=2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\sqrt{m/k}[/tex]
Damping: x(t) = Ae[tex]^{-bt/2m}[/tex]cos([tex]\omega[/tex]t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know how to start this

Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, we know the damping coefficient, b, correct? Can you use this to find the time it takes for the oscillation to decay the specified amount?

Last edited:
is t= m/b?

Your a little off. Consider this:

The amplitude of the wave at any time t is given by:

[tex]Ae^{-bt/2m}[/tex]

The initial value is A, so we want to know the time that:

[tex]Ae^{-bt/2m}=Ae^{-1}[/tex]

What does this equation give you for the time?

Um i got 24.2

Sounds good to me. Now can you take this time value and use it to find out how many oscillations the system undergoes in that time? HINT: You'll need the period. How can you find that from the known information?

from Period= 2pi(m/k)^.5

but i don't see where the period comes in

Oops! I meant to say the frequency, sorry! The frequency gives you the number of oscillations in one second, correct? So, using that, how many oscillations in 24.2 seconds?

Im completely lost now

You want to know how many oscillations happen in 24.2 seconds, correct?

Well,

the # of oscillations in one second = frequency

So if you know the frequency, you know the number of oscillations in one second. Using that information, it is a basic math problem to find the number of oscillations in 24.2 seconds. You know how to do this part if your this far into a physics course. Think about it.

got it thanks so much!

Good Job!

Wow, someday I will be able to do that lol. GO1 recommend any sources for physics tutorials or something?

silently_loud said:
Wow, someday I will be able to do that lol. GO1 recommend any sources for physics tutorials or something?

The one that is always recommended around here is hyperphysics:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

This is a good tutorial and it is trustworthy and accurate.

If this doesn't satisfy your curiosity then I would suggest investing in a textbook. Good luck!

Thanks. Really interesting stuff, really like the website. What text would you recommend for a beginner, I am taking physics now but its easy. Lately we have studied frictional forces such as F=un and F=ma, but this is over my head. Go1 what degree do you have?

1. What is an oscillation problem?

An oscillation problem is a physics problem that involves the movement or vibration of an object back and forth around a central point or equilibrium position. This type of motion is known as oscillatory motion.

2. How do you solve an oscillation problem?

To solve an oscillation problem, you first need to identify the type of oscillation (simple harmonic, damped, forced, etc.) and then use the appropriate equations and principles of physics, such as Hooke's Law, to analyze the problem and determine the necessary variables and values.

3. What are the common applications of oscillations?

Oscillations are used in many real-world applications, including clock mechanisms, pendulums, musical instruments, and oscillating fans. They are also important in fields such as engineering, seismology, and electronics.

4. How do damping and resonance affect oscillations?

Damping refers to the gradual decrease in the amplitude of an oscillatory system over time due to the dissipation of energy. Resonance, on the other hand, occurs when an external force is applied to an oscillating system at its natural frequency, causing the amplitude to increase significantly. Both damping and resonance can greatly influence the behavior of oscillations.

5. What are the differences between simple harmonic motion and damped oscillations?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of oscillation in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position and acts in the opposite direction. Damped oscillations, on the other hand, involve the presence of a damping force that gradually reduces the amplitude of the motion over time. Additionally, simple harmonic motion has a constant frequency and amplitude, while damped oscillations have a decreasing amplitude and frequency.