Solve Oscillations (SHM) Homework Statement: 76.7628 N/m & 51.0543 m

In summary, the problem involves finding the spring constant and original unstretched length of a damped harmonic motion system. The equation T=2π√m/k is rearranged to find the spring constant, and the original length is calculated using the formula F=ky. The spring is stretched by 8.94 meters from its equilibrium position, resulting in an original length of 51.0543 meters. The question of finding the damping constant is also raised, which can be solved using the formula for damped harmonic motion or by looking it up.
roam

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve this problem:

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/3513/prob1r.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I rearranged the equation T=2π√m/k to find the spring constant:

[itex]k= \frac{m}{\left( \frac{T}{2 \pi} \right)^2} = \frac{70}{\left( \frac{6}{2 \pi} \right)^2}= 76.7628 \ N/m[/itex]

To find the original unstretched length I solve for y in F=ky and subtract it from 60 m:

F=-ky

[itex]y= \frac{-F}{k} = \frac{-mg}{k} = \frac{-70 \times 9.81}{76.7628} = -8.957 \ m[/itex]

The spring is stretched by 8.94 meters from its equilibrium position so the original length is:

60-8.94=51.0543 m

Is this right? And how do I find the damping constant for the cord? What formula do I have to use? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is not SHM - this is damped harmonic motion... you will have been given the formula for that. You can also look it up.

1. What is SHM and what does it stand for?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion. It is a type of periodic motion where the displacement of an object from its equilibrium position follows a sinusoidal pattern.

2. How is SHM related to oscillations?

SHM is a specific type of oscillation, where the motion of the object is back and forth in a regular pattern. Other types of oscillations include damped oscillations and forced oscillations.

3. What is the significance of the given values (76.7628 N/m & 51.0543 m) in the homework statement?

The given values represent the spring constant (76.7628 N/m) and the amplitude (51.0543 m) in a SHM system. The spring constant determines the strength of the restoring force, while the amplitude is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position.

4. Can SHM be observed in real-life systems?

Yes, SHM can be observed in various real-life systems, such as a pendulum, a mass-spring system, or a vibrating guitar string. It is a common phenomenon in nature and can also be artificially created in machines and devices.

5. What is the equation for SHM and how is it used to solve problems?

The equation for SHM is x(t) = A*cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement at time t, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. This equation can be used to calculate various parameters of a SHM system, such as the period, frequency, and maximum velocity. It is also used to solve problems involving SHM, such as finding the position or velocity at a specific time.