1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillatory Motion

1. Dec 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]
    The amplitude of the oscillation gradually increases till block B starts to slip. At what A does this happen? (there is no friction between the large block and the surface)

2. Relevant equations

Force equations etc... (F=ma) and
    [​IMG]

I reckon it has something to do with the force being combined with that a up there, but I have no clue where to start so that the mass of B cancels.

3. The attempt at a solution

No dice :(

I hope I've done everything right, I couldn't find an equation editor, so I just used office suit's one and upped the pics of it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi Tzar_MacEng,

What force is responsible for accelerating the small block? Can you relate that force to the acceleration you have already found?

4. Dec 3, 2008 #3
    Well, I haven't exactly found an acceleration, however I imagine it is going to something related to F=ma and the mass will cancel somewhere through substitution and algebra. I just can't figure out where to start.

5. Dec 3, 2008 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Think about the question I asked: what force is actually repsponsible for accelerating the small block? Once you have the answer to that, you will know which extra formulas you need, and it will also explain why there is a largest amplitude in the first place.

6. Dec 3, 2008 #5
    I figured it out

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?