Solving Oscillatory Motion: When Block B Starts to Slip?

In summary: It is the normal force acting on the small block that is responsible for accelerating it. This is because the normal force is the only force acting on the small block in the vertical direction, causing it to have an acceleration of g. This means that at the largest amplitude, the normal force is equal to the weight of the small block, causing it to slip. In summary, the amplitude of the oscillation gradually increases until the normal force acting on the small block is equal to its weight, causing it to slip. This can be determined by considering the force of gravity and the normal force in the vertical direction and using the equation F=ma to relate them.
Tzar_MacEng

Homework Statement

2s6u6ia.jpg

The amplitude of the oscillation gradually increases till block B starts to slip. At what A does this happen? (there is no friction between the large block and the surface)

Homework Equations

Force equations etc... (F=ma) and
6se4nn.jpg

I reckon it has something to do with the force being combined with that a up there, but I have no clue where to start so that the mass of B cancels.

The Attempt at a Solution

No dice :(

I hope I've done everything right, I couldn't find an equation editor, so I just used office suit's one and upped the pics of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tzar_MacEng,

Tzar_MacEng said:

Homework Statement

The amplitude of the oscillation gradually increases till block B starts to slip. At what A does this happen? (there is no friction between the large block and the surface)

Homework Equations

Force equations etc... (F=ma) and

I reckon it has something to do with the force being combined with that a up there, but I have no clue where to start so that the mass of B cancels.

What force is responsible for accelerating the small block? Can you relate that force to the acceleration you have already found?

Well, I haven't exactly found an acceleration, however I imagine it is going to something related to F=ma and the mass will cancel somewhere through substitution and algebra. I just can't figure out where to start.

Tzar_MacEng said:
Well, I haven't exactly found an acceleration, however I imagine it is going to something related to F=ma and the mass will cancel somewhere through substitution and algebra. I just can't figure out where to start.

Think about the question I asked: what force is actually repsponsible for accelerating the small block? Once you have the answer to that, you will know which extra formulas you need, and it will also explain why there is a largest amplitude in the first place.

I figured it out

1. What is oscillatory motion?

Oscillatory motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth repeatedly around an equilibrium point.

2. How is oscillatory motion different from other types of motion?

Oscillatory motion is different from other types of motion because it involves repetitive back-and-forth movement around a fixed point, whereas other types of motion may involve linear or circular movement without a fixed point.

3. How do you solve for the point at which Block B starts to slip in oscillatory motion?

To solve for the point at which Block B starts to slip, you will need to use the equations of motion and analyze the forces acting on the block. This will allow you to determine the critical point at which the forces cause the block to start slipping.

4. What factors can affect the point at which Block B starts to slip in oscillatory motion?

The point at which Block B starts to slip can be affected by various factors such as the mass and friction of the block, the angle of the surface it is on, and any external forces acting on the block.

5. Can the point at which Block B starts to slip be predicted accurately?

The point at which Block B starts to slip can be predicted accurately using the equations of motion and taking into account all relevant factors. However, there may be some variations due to external factors or imperfections in the surface or block itself.