Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscilliscope, signal pulsating

1. Jun 7, 2017 #1
    Hi, so i am doing measurements with a pulsed laser using an oscilliscope.

The signal has been ok (stable) until this afternoon when I noticed the signal started pulsating. The baseline of the signal suddenly jumps up and the baseline becomes larger, and then go down to normal.. and it keeps "pulsating" like this. Any idea what could be wrong? There might be some disturbances from other work nearby, but I am unsure what it could be.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Could you use the UPLOAD button to post pictures of your setup and show us your schematic?

4. Jun 7, 2017 #3

Charles Link

Homework Helper

One thing to check would be the photodiode/amplifier. If you have a replacement, try testing with a different one.

5. Jun 7, 2017 #4
    It looks like interference from a nearby radio transmitter going on and off, such as a paging transmitter.

6. Jun 8, 2017 #5
    I agree, when i removed the averaging I could see that there was a signal detected at some interval by the LPD3 tube.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted