Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscilloscope advice

1. Feb 21, 2010 #1
    I am currently an electrical engineering student and I am considering buying an oscilloscope. Since I'm in college, I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive one, but I also don't want to throw money away on one that is too cheap. I saw that frys has a LeCroy waveace 40MHZ oscilloscope for $680.
    http://www.frys.com/product/6156019?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG"

I would like to use it for constructing audio amplifiers and pre-amps as well as school stuff. Can anyone tell me if this one is any good or do I really need to spend more money to get one worth having?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2010 #2
  4. Feb 22, 2010 #3
    I've got one off of EBAY and another from a Pawn shop. Both were excellent for performance vs price and less than half of what you would pay at any store.

5. Feb 22, 2010 #4
  6. Feb 22, 2010 #5
    Check out the Rigol DS1052E. They go for $550 on ebay, and use a similar if the not the same firmware as Agilent's low end scopes. There is a nice review of it on youtube, and many people I've heard give it thumbs up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook