What does ground at zero mean when using an oscilloscope?

In summary, the instructor suggested that you place the AC signal on the oscilloscope display with "ground at zero." This is done by switching the AC/DC switch to "AC." If you want to measure the average value of a waveform, you can do this by switching the switch between "AC" and "DC."
pyroknife
I was instructed to display an AC signal on an oscilloscope with "ground at zero."
Does anyone know what ground at zero is?
The signal is basically a sine wave, BUT with the bottom cut off (when the sine wave is supposed to be negative, it is 0 instead).

Engineering news on Phys.org
on the front of your oscilloscope you may have a switch marked DC/AC which relates to the input.
Try changing this to see if it makes a difference. The AC position will place the trace in the middle of the screen

technician said:
on the front of your oscilloscope you may have a switch marked DC/AC which relates to the input.
Try changing this to see if it makes a difference. The AC position will place the trace in the middle of the screen

This is what I thought of before and it might be the same thing as what you're suggestion. Is ground at 0, simply to put the flat part (where the sine wave signal is 0) at 0 mark on the oscillioscope display?

I am not certain what you mean when you say..."basically a sine wave with the bottom cut off"...that sounds like half wave rectifiedvAC.

technician said:
I am not certain what you mean when you say..."basically a sine wave with the bottom cut off"...that sounds like half wave rectifiedvAC.

yep, exactly.

See the first two explanations of how to use your oscilloscope to measure AC:
http://www.wisc-online.com/Search.aspx?search=oscilloscope

Last edited by a moderator:
pyroknife said:
Is ground at 0, simply to put the flat part (where the sine wave signal is 0) at 0 mark on the oscillioscope display?
Here we have an example of a phrase whose meaning is understood by the person who used it, but is clouded in ambiguity to those who haven't experienced it previously.

My best guess is that it means with the AC/DC switch set to "DC". Let me explain why.

When the switch is in the "DC" position, the CRO displays the full input waveform, the whole signal, all of it, with nothing missing. But there are times when you'd like to examine just the alternating part, to amplify it more, and on those occasions you can switch the AC/DC switch to "AC". In the AC position, any DC component is removed, and the zero volts line is moved to where the average value of your input signal lies. So if your waveform has a ripple or alternating part, the average of this is moved to the zero volts line. In this situation, the waveform has an area above the zero line equal to the area below that zero line. In effect, you lose track of where true zero is.

To determine the average (i.e., by definition, the DC value) of any waveform, switch it between "AC" and "DC" and the amount of shift in the displayed waveform equals the average value of that signal.

DSJI9.gif
Remember, in position "DC" you always see the complete waveform, so you will usually want to start with that position to establish in your mind the full picture of the signal your CRO leads are connected to.

i'll venture a guess

by "zero" , instructor refers to some horizontal line on the scope's graticule. He didn't say which.

Were I instructor i'd tell beginners:
" We will for this exercise use center of screen as zero so that you can see both halves of your signal. Ground input and place trace on centerline.

If I want you to use bottom of screen for zero, I will tell you to ground the input and move trace to bottom of screen.

As you gain skill you will decide for yourself where to place zero. It is good housekeeping but not absolutely necessary to use either center or bottom line of graticule for zero.
""

That seems a lot less ambiguous to me.

1. What is an oscilloscope and how does it work?

An oscilloscope is a scientific instrument used to measure and display electrical signals. It works by using a cathode ray tube (CRT) to create a visual representation of the signal on a screen, with the horizontal axis representing time and the vertical axis representing voltage.

2. What is the purpose of grounding an oscilloscope at 0 volts?

Grounding an oscilloscope at 0 volts is important because it ensures that the reference point for the measurement is consistent. This allows for accurate and precise measurements of the signal being analyzed.

3. How do you set the ground level on an oscilloscope?

The ground level on an oscilloscope can be set by connecting the probe to the ground reference point on the oscilloscope and adjusting the vertical position until the signal crosses the horizontal axis at 0 volts.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC coupling on an oscilloscope?

AC coupling removes the DC component of a signal, allowing for the observation of only the AC component. DC coupling, on the other hand, displays both the AC and DC components of a signal. AC coupling is useful for observing small changes in a signal, while DC coupling is better for measuring the absolute value of a signal.

5. How can an oscilloscope be used in scientific experiments?

An oscilloscope can be used in a variety of scientific experiments, such as analyzing electronic circuits, measuring the frequency and amplitude of signals, and observing the behavior of various electrical components. It is a versatile tool that is essential in many fields of science and engineering.