• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Oscilloscope Pre-lab Question

• Thread starter reconrusty
  • Start date

Homework Statement

In the oscilloscope display above, the vertical sensitivity is 5mV/cm, and the horizontal sensitivity is 0.5μs/cm.
A) find the amplitude of the sinusoidal voltage
B) find the frequency of the sinusoidal voltagehttp://imgur.com/fnkXliz

Homework Equations

im not sure which equations to use for this question, if any are needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you have to convert the units in this question im assuming. It also says in the question that each block is 1cm by 1 cm, and the top of the amplitude is about 3.2 cm, but that isn't the correct answer.

Answers and Replies

DEvens
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Ask yourself, what does it mean when it says 5 mV/cm? And so, what does it mean if you have a wave 3.2 cm tall on the screen?

Ask yourself, what does it mean when it says 0.5μs/cm? And how long (in cm) is one wave of the signal on the screen? And so, what does that mean?

i think it means (and correct me if im wrong) that there is 5 megavolts (5000000 volts) in every centimeter on the y-axis. So if the wave is 3.2 cm tall would you multiple 5mV by 3.2 to get the amplitude???

berkeman
Mentor
i think it means (and correct me if im wrong) that there is 5 megavolts (5000000 volts) in every centimeter on the y-axis. So if the wave is 3.2 cm tall would you multiple 5mV by 3.2 to get the amplitude???
First of all, mV is milliVolts, not MegaVolts... :-)

Next, I see the vertical amplitude as a little over 6 divisions tall. So the peak-to-peak amplitude will be a bit over 6 * 5mVpp. It's hard to tell if the question is asking for the peak or peak-to-peak "amplitude". Can you clarify that?

And on the horizontal axis, how many divisions between the positive peaks of the waveform (or alternately use the positive-going zero crossings to find the waveform's period)

ehild
Homework Helper

Attachments

Okay so i got the first question right, it was asking for the peak not the peak to peak. So for the second part about finding the frequency, I counted roughly 3.2 blocks as the period, so the frequency is just 1/period right? im not sure what to put in for units though, i thought frequency was measured in Hz, but when i try to put the answer in online it says the units are wrong... any help?

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
3.2 cm is how much time ?

Problem solved! thank you guys so much for the help :)