Oscilloscope Sensitivity and Voltage Analysis

In summary, the amplitude of the sinusoidal voltage is 6 divisions tall and the frequency of the sinusoidal voltage is 1/period.
reconrusty

Homework Statement

In the oscilloscope display above, the vertical sensitivity is 5mV/cm, and the horizontal sensitivity is 0.5μs/cm.
A) find the amplitude of the sinusoidal voltage
B) find the frequency of the sinusoidal voltagehttp://imgur.com/fnkXliz

Homework Equations

im not sure which equations to use for this question, if any are needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you have to convert the units in this question I am assuming. It also says in the question that each block is 1cm by 1 cm, and the top of the amplitude is about 3.2 cm, but that isn't the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask yourself, what does it mean when it says 5 mV/cm? And so, what does it mean if you have a wave 3.2 cm tall on the screen?

Ask yourself, what does it mean when it says 0.5μs/cm? And how long (in cm) is one wave of the signal on the screen? And so, what does that mean?

i think it means (and correct me if I am wrong) that there is 5 megavolts (5000000 volts) in every centimeter on the y-axis. So if the wave is 3.2 cm tall would you multiple 5mV by 3.2 to get the amplitude?

reconrusty said:
i think it means (and correct me if I am wrong) that there is 5 megavolts (5000000 volts) in every centimeter on the y-axis. So if the wave is 3.2 cm tall would you multiple 5mV by 3.2 to get the amplitude?

First of all, mV is milliVolts, not MegaVolts... :-)

Next, I see the vertical amplitude as a little over 6 divisions tall. So the peak-to-peak amplitude will be a bit over 6 * 5mVpp. It's hard to tell if the question is asking for the peak or peak-to-peak "amplitude". Can you clarify that?

And on the horizontal axis, how many divisions between the positive peaks of the waveform (or alternately use the positive-going zero crossings to find the waveform's period)

reconrusty said:
http://imgur.com/fnkXliz
this is the graph posted in the question aswell

Better to show the picture:
fnkXliz.gif

Attachments

• oscilloscope.JPG
    oscilloscope.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 516
Okay so i got the first question right, it was asking for the peak not the peak to peak. So for the second part about finding the frequency, I counted roughly 3.2 blocks as the period, so the frequency is just 1/period right? I am not sure what to put in for units though, i thought frequency was measured in Hz, but when i try to put the answer in online it says the units are wrong... any help?

3.2 cm is how much time ?

Problem solved! thank you guys so much for the help :)

1. What is an oscilloscope and how does it work?

An oscilloscope is a device used to measure and display electrical signals in the form of a graph. It works by taking a voltage signal and converting it into a visual representation on a screen, with the vertical axis representing voltage and the horizontal axis representing time.

2. Why is an oscilloscope important in scientific research?

Oscilloscopes are important tools in scientific research because they allow for the precise measurement and analysis of electrical signals. This is crucial in many fields, such as electronics, physics, and engineering.

3. What are some common uses for an oscilloscope?

An oscilloscope can be used for a variety of purposes, including troubleshooting electronic circuits, testing and measuring signals in different devices, and analyzing the performance of electrical systems.

4. How do I use an oscilloscope?

To use an oscilloscope, you will need to connect the device to your signal source using probes or cables. Then, adjust the settings on the oscilloscope to match the signal you are measuring, such as the voltage range and time scale. Finally, you can view and analyze the signal on the screen and make any necessary adjustments.

5. Are there different types of oscilloscopes?

Yes, there are different types of oscilloscopes available for different applications. Some common types include digital oscilloscopes, analog oscilloscopes, and mixed-signal oscilloscopes. They may also vary in terms of bandwidth, sample rate, and number of channels.