1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillscope Probe

1. Apr 23, 2003 #1
    Any one ever use a sound card + software as an oscillscope?
    I just want to know how i can make a probe to use as an oscillscope probe that can be plugged into the Input of a sound card.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2003 #2

emu

For audio frequencies, the probe from a multimeter will be fine. That is to say, a piece of wire will do. However, at radio frequencies, you would require a good oscilloscope with some decent probes. But for a sound card and some software, 2 wires will be sufficient.

4. Apr 23, 2003 #3
    emu,
    I haven't seen a sound card thingy before, but I have seen special made PCI cards that come with all the needed cables/probes to take measurements with. The problem I have with those things is that they still cost you hundreds and hundreds of dollars, at least the ones I saw ($300 U.S. and up). For that kind of money I'd rather spend a few hundred more and get a stand alone unit.

5. Apr 23, 2003 #4
    Yeah thatnks that is what i figured is that i can use just wires

6. Apr 24, 2003 #5

emu

When I was 16, I managed to salvage a nice B&K oscilloscope, good to about 20 MHz. It's a pain in the ass to lug around but when I need it, it's the only tool I trust. I've tried some software for use with soundcards using the line-in as a scope but there are limitations.
    I use mine mostly for audio testing, and often for bass frequencies. I doubt a sound car will read flat down to about 10 Hz while a good scope will.

What are you going to use it for?

7. Apr 24, 2003 #6
    Im going to use it for mainly audio purposes. So i can repair audio equipment and design audio as well.

8. Apr 25, 2003 #7

emu

If you have an old pentium 133 or something low-level with a soundcard, use that as your test machine. You can afford to fry the soundcard a few times while learning. However, be careful using this scope to repair active components. I don't even know what kind of voltage a soundcard can endure. I'd imagine the input impedance is the standard 10K so keep that in mind. A scope is in the Megaohm range.

9. Apr 25, 2003 #8
    Where might I download a trial version of the 'sound-card software' so as to experiment with it?

10. Apr 25, 2003 #9
    I download a program called WinScope but there are plenty of oscilloscope programs out there that use your sound card and a computer. Most I've seen are either freeware or shareware. But i havent tested any of the programs yet so i dont know how good they are but im going to eventually go out and purchase a scope.

11. Apr 25, 2003 #10
  12. Apr 26, 2003 #11

megashawn

Science Advisor

Just to add in that Mandrake Linux (and probably other distribs) come with it as an option to install. Would be nice to get a decent O scope for less then $1000.

13. Apr 26, 2003 #12
    It would but that damn scopes are so expensive.

14. Apr 26, 2003 #13
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?