1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Osmotic pressure and stoichiometry

1. Apr 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When 0.32 weight/volume% of sucrose, MgSO4 and KNO3 mixture is dissolved in 997 g of H2O, the osmotic pressure at 25 deg Celsius is 1.25 atm. Calculate the mole fraction and mass percent composition of the original mixture if it contains 15% weight/weight KNO3.

2. Relevant equations

Osmotic pressure= Molarity x Gas constant x Temperature in Kelvin

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was able to solve for the molarity of the solution. After it, I don't know what to do next. Can someone please teach me what the next step is and what is the role(meaning) of weight/volume % and weight/weight % in the problem? Thank you in advance. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I have no idea what it means.

4. Apr 9, 2015 #3
    My friend told me that when you multiply the given percentage by 100, you will get the total mass of the mixture. I am just not sure whether I should believe him or not.

5. Apr 9, 2015 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Doesn't sound correct to me. 30% sulfuric acid doesn't always weight 3000 (and 3000 of what? stones? grams? ounces? pounds?).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted