Osmotic Pressure/ Gen chem 2

In summary, A human's blood osmotic pressure at body temperature is 7.7 atm and in order for an intravenous glucose solution to have the same osmotic pressure, it must have a molarity of approximately 0.303 M. However, there may be slight variation in the answer depending on the units and significant figures used.
Torshi
Human blood gives rise to an osmotic pressure of approximately 7.7 atm at body temperature, 35.9 Celsius.

What must the molarity of an intravenous glucose solution be to give rise to the same osmotic pressure as blood?

------------------------------

I use the equation ; P=MRT if that's right
R is constant= .0821
T= 308.9 Kelvin
P=7.7 atm
M= ?

So would i rearrange the equation to P/RT=M
I get the wrong answer tho, and the answer doesn't sound right. I know I'm doing something wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
What answer did you get, and how do you know it is wrong?

One thing: R is not 0.0821. It is 0.0821 L atm K^−1 mol^−1. Never let your numbers go out naked. Units are really, really important.

Torshi said:
bump
What answer did you get, and how do you know it's wrong?

pmsrw3 said:
What answer did you get, and how do you know it's wrong?

.303 M

and masteringchemistry says it's wrong...

Well, what you're doing looks right to me, and that answer is at least close to the correct concentration for isotonic glucose. All I can guess is that you need to have more or fewer sig figs, or maybe different units (e.g. 303 mM), or something like that.

1. What is osmotic pressure?

Osmotic pressure is the pressure that must be applied to a solution to prevent the inward flow of water across a semipermeable membrane.

2. How is osmotic pressure calculated?

Osmotic pressure can be calculated using the Van't Hoff equation, which is π = iMRT, where π is osmotic pressure, i is the van't Hoff factor (number of particles into which the solute dissociates), M is the molarity of the solution, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. What factors affect osmotic pressure?

Osmotic pressure is affected by the concentration of solute particles in a solution, the temperature, and the presence of other solutes or particles that may interfere with the flow of water.

4. How does osmotic pressure relate to osmosis?

Osmotic pressure and osmosis are related in that osmosis is the movement of water across a semipermeable membrane from an area of low solute concentration to an area of high solute concentration, driven by the difference in osmotic pressure between the two solutions.

5. What are some practical applications of osmotic pressure?

Osmotic pressure has various practical applications, including in medicine (such as in dialysis to remove waste from the blood), in food preservation (using high osmotic pressure to dehydrate food and prevent bacterial growth), and in water treatment (using reverse osmosis to remove impurities from water).