Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other classic experiments

1. Apr 22, 2005 #1
    What other classic quantum experiments exist that a novice should understand or be aware of?

I’m aware of the double-slit experiment, what other experiments should I read up on? Preferably ones that are less than a 1000 pages and were written such that mypoor brain can understand them? :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2005 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Welcome to the forums, Warrick. The Stern-Gerlach experiment is important, especially in the cascaded form described by Feynmann in volume 3 of his physics textbooks. This demonstrates the non-intuitive nature of quantum spin, and supports the idea that particles don't really have a well defined spin (or by extension any other property) apart from measurement.

4. Apr 24, 2005 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't give you details, but Einstein's explanation of the photoelectric effect was based on experiments which showed the existence of the effect in any specific situation was frequency dependent rather than intensity dependent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?